ATA Case Foam

themike

• Members

I recently picked up a head/rack combo case from a 5150 II for my Engl. The Engl is naturally bigger so I am going to have to cut down some of the foam to get it to fit.

I was wondering if anyone had any good methods/tools for modifying the foam?

• Members

It all depends on the kind of foam and the thickness of it. If its a large piece of dense foam then what we used to do at my shop was take an electric carving knife to it so that the cut is straight enough to use and so it doesn't chunk the foam (getting shape). Then after that we'd take a grinder to smooth the rough edges so its a clean finish. If you're just trimming the edges or something on a thinner foam you can just use a razor blade or something similar but be mindful of your fingers since it's pretty dangerous for a clumsy person. But ideally it depends on the type of foam and the thickness for what method works best. Where on LI are you from dude? I'm in nassau :wave:

• Members
It all depends on the kind of foam and the thickness of it. If its a large piece of dense foam then what we used to do at my shop was take an electric carving knife to it so that the cut is straight enough to use and so it doesn't chunk the foam (getting shape). Then after that we'd take a grinder to smooth the rough edges so its a clean finish. If you're just trimming the edges or something on a thinner foam you can just use a razor blade or something similar but be mindful of your fingers since it's pretty dangerous for a clumsy person. But ideally it depends on the type of foam and the thickness for what method works best. Where on LI are you from dude? I'm in nassau
:wave:

Thanks guys - sounds good.

I'm in Suffolk :thu: I live out near Riverhead but I'm mostly in the Ronkonkoma area with my musical endeavors haha

Archived