To Vypyr or not

shredrick

• Members

Hey HC I have been looking at used combo's for small club gigs we do classic rock and some blues dance music for the most part occasionally I get to throw in some early metal

I have been looking at a peavey ultra and a XXX combo

but recently tried the vypyr and need your input here, I mean I tried this thing out at GC and was impressed or are my ears deceiving me with digital input lol. By the way this amp has a lot of features but it did not have a line out but that's no big deal since we mic anyway. The other guitar player uses a peavey classic 50 would the vypyr sound thin against this amp?

Is the vypyr a gig worthy amp, is there anyone on HC that gigs with one of these amps and how does it sound especially on those songs where the drummer has to beat the hell out of the drums

Thanks any help would be appreciated here

• Members

The XLR out on the back of the new 6505+ 1X12 is a Godsend for soundmen AND your tone. If ONLY the Vypyr had that...
XLR will take over soon and EVERY amp will have one. Screw mic'n stuff. Seriously. I think you could get all the tones your
looking for out of the 6505+ although it appears you use effects, that's going to be a problem (unless you have pedals). But it does, rock, metal, and some
nasty blues when eq'd right.

• Members

The XLR out on the back of the new 6505+ 1X12 is a Godsend for soundmen AND your tone. If ONLY the Vypyr had that...

XLR will take over soon and EVERY amp will have one. Screw mic'n stuff. Seriously.

XLR speaker sim out is one of the best ideas to come out in a long time, imho.

i wish every amp had one for live applications.

• Members

I tried that amp yesterday lol, I liked it somewhat but it was missing some midrange frequencies in how it was voiced. It had plenty of gain for sure. By the way Marshall has been putting xlr outs on their amplifiers for over a decade.

• Members

I'm really happy with my Vyp, 75 SS btw.

However, I personally would not feel confident enough with this amp to use it as my main gigging amp. I no longer gig so the Vyp is perfect for my needs at the moment.

From what I understand, some users gig their's quite frequently with no problems.

There ya go, glad I could clear that up for you.

Archived