Tried a Marshall MA last night.

MattACaster

• Members

i just dont get it though. how do you fuck this up? with the circuits that have been done and redone over the years, as complex as 3 channel multi fx loop monsters to bare bones champ circuits, you have DELIBERATELY make a tube amp sound bad, or be incredibly careless. even using cheap components takes away more from reliability than tone for the most part, unless youre talking trannies....i just dont get it. how CAN you make a tube amp this bad (allegedly. i havent heard it, but im pretty sure i can imagine)? i havent heard any tone complaints about the b00gz
:cop:

Even with transformers, small and underwound isn't always a bad thing. Take rectifiers for example, the peavey 5150 2x12 combo or the new made in china 6505+ 112 combo. Fuck on most blackstars transformers "look" to be cellphone like in size on some amps!

Ever since reading the article on aikenamps about some points in winding a transformer I think that...whatever works works. Big isn't always beautiful.

• Members

I played the MA into a 2x12 Orange cab at a guitar center and it sounded pretty decent. I played a MA at a show that the stage was backlined and it was running into a 5150 cab and it sounded horrible. I think with the right cab ,and some decent settings, it could be useable.

• Members

I've never played the amp, but I'm starting to feel like MIC is the worst thing that has happened to the world (okay, America, specifically) in a long time. Sigh.

People will buy it thinking "Marshall" but they'll just be getting more cheap slave made Asian junk and lowering our standards of what constitutes Marshallness.

• Members

Nothing wrong with MIC if it's done right.

Most of the time it's not. And I'm still not sure it is in American's best interest to support it. Although it is too late for simple consumer action to affect it, anyway, our freaking infrastructure has been burned down from the inside.

• Members

Most of the time it's not. And I'm still not sure it is in American's best interest to support it. Although it is too late for simple consumer action to affect it, anyway, our freaking infrastructure has been burned down from the inside.

Egnater, Blackstar and Jet City are doing it right. You're right though, it is too late to do anything about it.

• Members

I've never played the amp,
but I'm starting to feel like MIC is the worst thing that has happened to the world (okay, America, specifically) in a long time. Sigh.

People will buy it thinking "Marshall" but they'll just be getting more cheap slave made Asian junk and lowering our standards of what constitutes Marshallness.

Yeah I'm gonna play the amp myself before I make a judgement.

• Members

When they were first teasing them I was all, "Real tube Marshall for a price I may be able to afford..." and then I tried them out. I spent an hour at Sam Ash with the 50 watter and a matching cab. It utterly lacked any of the good graces you expect in a tube amp... no string sensitivity, poor dynamics. I tried using different cables... no better. I agree with the forum: they suck. Sorry if my opinion and some of yours don't dovetail.

• Members

I'm still not getting the bad vibes that the MA's get! Yeah its a MIC Marshall but thats no big deal. The revoiced ones sound great through a 1960, the standard MC cabs are total junk, crap speakers, mdf and very little actual design in them. I thought that the MA could get pretty JCM900ish, which in my book is no bad thing as i love the dual reverb amps. They do also have something in the sound that reminds me of the first overdrive channel on the vs100r, again that isnt a bad thing as i grew up playing those amps.

I've seen UK retailers knocking the 50w head out at

• Members

My experience with the MA:

When I first plugged it in, I was literally appalled at the garbage I was hearing. It sounded like I had the guitar (SG Standard) on the neck pickup running through a Boss Turbo Distortion. That's about the best way I can put it.

No warmth, no dynamics, no clarity. I've heard solid state amps that sounded WORLDS better than the MA. It basically just sounds like, well, noise. Harsh noise when you play, it's very uninspiring to listen to.

I know, I get it, I get why they were introduced. But seriously the MGs just eat them alive. I don't see them as an amp, even.. they just fall into the same category as all the other cheap Chinese electronics. If I were Jim I'd be a little sketched out..

Archived