NGD - Americanized PRS Baritone (w/ video demo!)

Adeamus

• Members

Word guys

So, alright, the NGD wasn't TODAY...but I did get it about a week ago and then I just so happened to not have enough free time to post about it on the internet. Sad, Sad, I know! I wish I had more time to do things like practice, post on the internet, and masturbate, but with adult life comes some compromises.

So, what did I get? I got an Americanized PRS Baritone Mike Mushok guitar. So what makes it Americanized? I had my boys over at PRS add in American locking tuners, an American nut, American pots, and most importantly the SC250 pickups. The pick ups are worth every penny, I was thinking about spending the money on something like Blackouts or Bareknuckles, but I decided to just go with the SC250's since I love the way they sound in my SC250 I got this summer.

I then had it set up to be in Drop G as that's a fifth below my band, Screaming Mechanical Brain's, normal tuning of D. (If you're a theory nerd, why I chose a fifth will make perfect sense )

So, being a bit what I describe as "The Worlds Laziest Work-a-Holic", I decided that I didn't want to post a bajillion pictures of me opening the box. Oh no, I figured I'd go the extra step and record a video demo of me playing the PRS. (also part of the reason why this took a week to get around to, and not an extra hour or two)

So, here is a demo of my bands song "The Girls of Nihilism" off of our next record that is due out at some point in the next year, that shows off how well the Mushok handles something as insane as Drop G.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

All and All, I say buy one now if you want a baritone. It sounds WAY better then my Schecter C8. Sure it doesn't have eight strings, but if your not DEAD set of on an 8 string, and just looking to explore the super low end world, go with one of these baritones....the 27.7 scale makes a world of difference.

• Members

All and All, I say buy one now if you want a baritone. It sounds WAY better then my Schecter C8. Sure it doesn't have eight strings, but if your not DEAD set of on an 8 string, and just looking to explore the super low end world, go with one of these baritones....the 27.7 scale makes a world of difference.

Fixed

• Members

Ahh, thanks greatly for the replys guys.

This song is a bit more experimental for us, we're normally a bit more thrashy, but I wanted to do some mega downtuny stuff for our next record.

As far as string gauge I believe I've got 13-74 on there. The nut is actually a little routed out for the low G string, and if you saw it in person you'd probably see how out of proportion to the other strings it is. Like I said though, I just got it from the factory last week, I haven't had to restring it myself yet.

• Members

holy {censored}, you're the "new" guitarist for SMB?

I've been listening to you guys for years...I though you were playing caparisons?

Heh, "New" indeed. I've been in the band for three years as of March 1st now. I did have a Caparison Horus for a number of years, but I also had a PRS CE24 that I have had since 04'. Anyway, in 08 I was fishing around for sponsorships and basically Caparison spoke with me but offered nothing and PRS offered me a deal. So, here I am. And frankly, I'm much happier with the PRS's then I ever was with the Caparison. The only thing I liked about the Caparison more was the upper fret reach. Its a bit tricky getting into the mega high stuff, but I don't shred that much in SMB and I'd rather have guitars that sound as thick as my PRS's.

• Members

Props to you, your band, your playing, and that YOU HAVE GONE BARITONE. :thu:

I am a bari-addict, and if there is some sorta baritone club on here, point me in thy direction!

{censored}ing dropped to G! That is a gamble even with the Mushok because that guitar is a 28" scale beast if I am not mistaken, correct? But, your playing and tone speaks for itself.

I play 27" and 26.5", and have found that I don't like going any lower than B with either of them. Those 30" BlackMachine 8's look the money for teh G's, F's, and even E's though....

• Members
Heh, "New" indeed. I've been in the band for three years as of March 1st now. I did have a Caparison Horus for a number of years, but I also had a PRS CE24 that I have had since 04'. Anyway, in 08 I was fishing around for sponsorships and basically Caparison spoke with me but offered nothing and PRS offered me a deal. So, here I am. And frankly, I'm much happier with the PRS's then I ever was with the Caparison. The only thing I liked about the Caparison more was the upper fret reach. Its a bit tricky getting into the mega high stuff, but I don't shred that much in SMB and I'd rather have guitars that sound as thick as my PRS's.

God, it's been that long already, hasn't it...

{censored}, man! Good on ya on the PRS deal, it seems like it's a good fit for you ;) oh and keep killin it.

I'll be seeing you next time you're in Orlando-ish again.

• Members
Props to you, your band, your playing, and that YOU HAVE GONE BARITONE.
:thu:

I am a bari-addict, and if there is some sorta baritone club on here, point me in thy direction!

{censored}ing dropped to G! That is a gamble even with the Mushok because that guitar is a 28" scale beast if I am not mistaken, correct? But, your playing and tone speaks for itself.

I play 27" and 26.5", and have found that I don't like going any lower than B with either of them. Those 30" BlackMachine 8's look the money for teh G's, F's, and even E's though....

Why thank you for the kind words. All the kind words make me feel pretty good, we've been working on this record for so long (Close to two years) that I sometimes forget that people do actually like what we do. :)

The Mushok is actually 27.7". It probably helps that I had told my guy James at PRS that I wanted this guitar set up for drop G. Having the guy that does the set ups for Carlos Santana do yours will help with the playability greatly. But the main thing I noticed was just how huge the low string is.

The massive string gauge coupled with the SC250 pickups and then intellegently setting up your amp will do wonders about avoiding The Mud. The main trick is, to be totally honest, listen. Now I suck ass at putting together amp tones live, so that's why I like all my digital gear, so I can set it up in the studio then be reasonably sure of what it will sound like once I'm out live. Setting up your amp in the studio then saving it also offers you the chance to AB against the tones your going for. I'm a diehard fan of the Meshuggah guitar tone, even for my higher tuned stuff.

Also, the other thing to be aware of his how much the mastering of a record REALLY does effect tone. Its going to really bring out your mids a lot more then you expect and push out some of the low end. So keep in mind your hearing +1 or 2db of mids more then "they" have on the record your trying to cop.

Oh, and as far as playing this live...we will find out, the band JUST started rehearsing this one up last week. I'm excited for it since we got a new drummer in October and its fun to challenge him since he has a "No seriously, I swear I'll learn this" mentality. Oddly enough, he normally does.

Hopefully I can start getting up some full band rehearsal videos soon.

• Members

Are you finding the change in scale length uncomfortable or a bit of a challenge to play on?

Not even in the slighest. I think the thing that threw me off the most was just hearing the difference in pitch when I'd go up to play leads. My brain was saying "This isnt even close to right" since everything was down a perfect fourth from where it should be. But that was pretty minor.

I remember seeing someone do out the math on the scale length of a bairtone vs the fret separation. If I remember correctly, it was something like after the first three frets everything is a normal distance. I dunno about you guys, but I don't really have a difficult time getting around when I'm doing the low end chuggy stuff.

So, I'd say that all the fears of adapting to scale length are massively overstated. Unless, of course, we're talking about a 30"+ scale, then it MIGHT take some getting used to.

For the record though, I didn't really find adapting to a seven or an eight strings difficult either. No more then an afternoon of playing with them to get a feel for it.

• Members

Americanized Fail

you still need a carved top

I agree! But oh GOD the price goes up for an actual American one. I kinda got this as an "experiment" guitar. If I start using more downtuning in the band I might have to order a true american one. I'd probably strech the scale out another inch or so too.

• Members

I agree! But oh GOD the price goes up for an actual American one. I kinda got this as an "experiment" guitar. If I start using more downtuning in the band I might have to order a true american one. I'd probably strech the scale out another inch or so too.

if they carve topped the SE line i'd be all over some of those axes

Archived