Who Uses Beam Blockers?

dughaze

• Members

Who gigs and uses some type of beam blocker in their cab(s)? I can't see any reason why every cab shouldn't have them with the ice pick coming out of the center cone. I was thinking about putting them in a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab. It is a killer cab but with it shooting past my knees and at the crowd I would think it would really benfit from the blockers. Is there a best size for certain speakers and cabs?

• Members

I have beam blockers in my 1x12 combo, and I like them not really for the sound dispersement(Which is what I bought it for) but for the treble response. It really smooths out the treble, and I found I really liked that. I have an Avatar 2x12 cab w/ Greenbacks that I plug in and out to compare it with and it's SIGNIFICANTLY smoother in the treble department.

Regarding the sound dispersement, I've had it so long that I don't remember how it sounds without it. It does fill up my friend's garage though (Where I play) and keeps up with the bad pretty well. I point the amp towards all of us and it doesn't hurt our ears, which can't be said about my buddy's Line 6 2x12.

• Members

There's probably home remedies you can use instead of beam blockers.

Try sticking duct tape side by side, then holding it in the center of the speaker with the speaker screws. I dunno if I said that clear:idk:

So you are voting yes to using some sort of beam blocker? Do you use something to block the beam now regardless of what it is?

• Members

Iv'e found out over the years the tone I like on stage is never what needs to be in the mix. I have used them and it really didn't sit well.

This is what I'm wondering. They're going to attenuate the beam and this is going to be good and bad. If it's a toss up then leaving as is is the way to go.

• Members

I made about 20 of them for about $1/pc. I bought some dust-caps from a local speaker repair company and glued them onto black posterboard. Look and work just like the real deal.

I Only actually use 2 of them though and gave the rest to my buddies. I use them on the top two speakers of my angled cab

• Members

I made some home-made "beam blockers" for my 1 X 10" and 1 X 12" combos...when I first heard of them, I was pretty skeptical, but whipped up one, then went over to a friend who owns the same model amp and A-B'd them...I like the difference, so made a few more...then made several for friends who wanted to try them. :cool:

One of, to me, the most interesting aspects is that you can, in a 4 X 12" cab, put a beam blocker over the speaker you'd ordinarily mic into the PA...thus giving the PA a "friendlier" signal, and still let the half-deaf rock lead guitarist hear the sounds he craves! :lol:

• Members

beam blocker?

Yes, beam blocker.

I just take a few strips of duct tape, overlap them on the edges till I get a decent-sized square, cut it into a circle, then stick on the inside of my grill cloth. Works like a charm.

I'm wondering if any of you physics guys know if there is any dynamic about a multi-speaker cab (i.e. 4x12, 4x10, etc) that affect the function of beam blockers. For instance, I've heard a 4x12 is more "beamy" than a 1x12 because of the way the sound waves cross or interact or something. How would beam blockers affect that?

• Members

I used to rock duct tape. Then I got beam blockers. World of difference. Beam blocked all my cabs.

You have to re-EQ after you put the beam blockers in, to compensate for the lost high end. If I didn't use an outboard 30 band EQ, I don't think it would be possible to get enough high end.

Archived