20 watts loud enough

shredrick

• Members

Says the guy running a JCM900, I promise you I've played a 30 watter louder than my old 900.

I don't think the 2000s are all that and a bag of chips re: volume either. And honestly I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing- I'd rather push the amp harder. But if I can get the power section to give at drummer volume, it's not that loud.

I can't speak for the JVMs or Vintage Moderns as I still haven't played either. 800s, MV JMPs and Superleads are a whole different beast as far as the totally impractical levels they can throw down.

• Members

How well an amp cuts through is so dependent on the speaker, the cabinet design, the venue, the guitar/pickups, even the tone of the other musicians you're playing with, its hard to say for sure. I played a 15 watt Laney combo for practice and small gigs (through a 4x12 for the gigs) for a few years and it was plenty. Kind of "boxy" though without much low end. Now my 50 watt Mesa is way more than what I need, to the extent that when Im just practicing I can't come even close to getting the output tubes hot enough for truely good tone. So you may want to try somewhere in the middle I guess. I also have a friend that gigs with a 5watt Laney Lionheart and he seems to be perfectly happy. Its all so subjective...

• Members

Your old 900 was broken, Says the guy running a JCM900 / Next week

JCM205H
:lol:

Wow you're some kind of seer to know what amp I was referring to and whether or not my JCM900 was broken. You could make a lot of money in the sports betting racket man. At least enough to afford a better amp.

• Members

I don't think the 2000s are all that and a bag of chips re: volume either. And honestly I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing- I'd rather push the amp harder. But if I can get the power section to give at drummer volume, it's not that loud.

I can't speak for the JVMs or Vintage Moderns as I still haven't played either. 800s, MV JMPs and Superleads are a whole different beast as far as the totally impractical levels they can throw down.

Oh I whole heartily agree, my point was wattage is just a number. There's entirely too many variables. Any honestly my JMP, while loud isn't the loudest amp I've played, I had a '71 Superlead that was loud, and I mean LOUD, the Marshall Major was another that was loud, but wasn't as loud as you'd think given it's 200 watt rating.

More importantly single word answers of "NO" are just a sign of a dip{censored} who thinks they know what they're talking about.

Archived