Rebirth of an Ibanez RX20

Dead Star

• Members

So I have this Ibanez RX20. I've had this thing since 1998. This thing is about to die. The wiring is crapping out, the pickups have always been shit, neck has been to hell and back, bridge is beginning to rust. This thing is in a state of major disarray.

Now instead of just dumping the poor thing, I'm going to try to restore it. The guitar was my first and thus has so much sentimental value, I couldn't ever see myself getting rid of it.

So I'm going to refurbish/upgrade it.

Here is how it looked when it was new (now covered in stickers from my "Angsty Youth" phase)

Picture31.png

And here is an idea I had for the refurbish

Picture29.png

So, am I crazy?

• Members

in my opinion, since this is your first guitar, I would restore it to top condition as far as playabilty and tone but keep the original look.

Get a pair of white pickups (maybe a Breed and an Air Norton), locking tuners, a new bridge and fretwork and your guitar will play like new and sound great but it will still look like your old guitar.

• Members

in my opinion, since this is your first guitar, I would restore it to top condition as far as playabilty and tone but keep the original look.

Get a pair of white pickups (maybe a Breed and an Air Norton), locking tuners, a new bridge and fretwork and your guitar will play like new and sound great but it will still look like your old guitar.

This.

• Members

This does sound best.

• Members

If you really want to change the look, change out the pickguard. Even a white pearloid with white pickups would be cool and it would cost you, what, maybe $40.
:idk:

That is a great idea!!!

It's going to take a few months, seeing as most of my extra money is going toward the DSL. It will come together bit by bit though.

So first up: The Body. I'm going to have to get all the stickers taken off, and then refinished.

After that: Pickups and Electronics. This includes new knobs, a new bridge, and a new switch.

Then: Neck overhaul/refinish. Standard procedure.

If it's not lost by then, I'll continue to update with pictures. I'm afraid to post the "Before" pics though, seeing as it's in horrible shape.

:/

Archived