New tubes for Rockerverb 50?

EzzO)))

• Members

So I think it might be time to get some fresh tubes in my RV50 (I can never really tell for sure). Anyway I bought it used over a year ago and I have no idea when (if ever) the tubes were changed before. My last amp was a mesa t-verb head so I never had to worry about biasing it. I re-tubed the mesa with JJ's twice, both times they sounded good (although the last time I re-tubed one of the EL34's crapped out on me right away). I've been thinking about buying from Eurotubes again but if anyone can suggest a good alternative I'd be interested in checking them out (I've heard good things about Tung-sol 6v6's)

Also I seem to remember someone telling power tubes burning out quicker than pre-amp tubes (not sure if that's true). Is it a good idea to do a full re-tube or is that a waste of money? Has anyone ever used JJ's in their RV?

• Members

You should change the power tubes. It's not necessary to change preamp tubes unless they are causing problems (microphonic). I did replace my preamp tubes with Sovtek 12ax7lps and they sound really good. Big difference from the stock tubes.

I was told that JJ's were the best 6v6 so I left them in there. I may have to get some tung sol and try them since you said that. :cop:

• Members

Not really going for a Sunn sound (don't have enough cabs for that). Just going for a nice thick rock tone.

Maybe I'll just grab some new power tubes and see how it goes from there.

Also, how can you tell if your preamp tubes are microphonic?

Archived