When's a country song a COUNTRY song?

Mark Blackburn

• Members

I've just been watching Brad Paisley and Ray Benson -- two great Country singer/guitarists -- and their recent, alone-together, live performance of "Miles and Miles of Texas." And I'm having a reverie (indulge me please) about how such music will still appeal to great musicians of every genre, a hundred years hence.  Just my prediction.

Yes, 'Country Jazz' will still be winning hearts and minds as long as there are virtuoso musicians and singers in both genres. Which is to say 'forever.'  Texas Swing is an art form best kept alive for the past four decades by

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Howdy y'all, 2nd post ever here .1st on this subject. I was part of the songwriting duo and git player for a wonderful little 3-piece Rockabilly/country band 83-86 here in austin, tx. here are some lines we came up with  that i'd be curious enough to play...

" Down in Austin, There's a waitress, who works at Maudie's cafe. And I'd give my shotgun, and my Pickup truck, if I could only learn her name, cuz she's my Short Order Fantasy, A cup of coffee and some hotcakes Queen, If she only knew, yea what I go through, Well I know she'd up and die...

• Members

You won't believe this Mr. Grabby! (Thanks for your posting, by the way).  A moment ago I just composed a reflection on my all-time favorite rock-a-billy song -- by the Everly Brothers -- to mark Phil's passing last week; I'd intended to post it on my "A Great Melody first, THEN the lyrics" thread,  then I thought the better of it, and came here to post to my "When's a country song a COUNTRY song?" because . . . well, just because!  

Lo and behold your posting that:  "I was part of the songwriting duo and git player for a wonderful little 3-piece Rockabilly/Country band 83-86 here in austin, tx."

----

If I ever get to Nashville I want to visit Woodlawn Cemetary, where many of my Country music heroes are buried

Archived