Excuse me please, who is best metal fast-playing trick teacher in Minne/St Paul area?

axuality

• Members

Sorry to post this in wrong place, but I hang out here the most.

I'm not a metal player, but I'd like to learn the common speed things that Satriani uses. --and what are they by the way?

Sweep picking, tapping, what else?

And is it a metal teacher I'm looking for? I wouldn't think that Satriani and Vai are actually considered metal.

Help! :) thanks

Brian

• Members

Maybe try contacting any music schools in the area? See if you can get in touch with a guitar instructor and speak with him/her personally, maybe he/she could give you lessons or could refer you to someone who could. I'd think legato is the biggest thing for Satch. I'm also in the Twin Cities area and would also like to play like Satriani/Vai.

• Members

I just may happen to be that guy...

No but seriously, about two hours southwest of The Cities in little old Windom, MN resides Jerry Geifer. I took lessons from him for 7 years. He is a god. He was in a band with Dave Ellefson before Ellefson joined Megadeth, and has toured with many notable midwest bands. Satriani, Vai, Johnson...that style is his thing. He has a reputation and is usually booked up...but if you're at all interested you should PM me and I can give you his digits, etc.

• Members
I just may happen to be that guy...

No but seriously, about two hours southwest of The Cities in little old Windom, MN resides Jerry Geifer. I took lessons from him for 7 years. He is a god. He was in a band with Dave Ellefson before Ellefson joined Megadeth, and has toured with many notable midwest bands. Satriani, Vai, Johnson...that style is his thing. He has a reputation and is usually booked up...but if you're at all interested you should PM me and I can give you his digits, etc.

Sounds fab, but I'm already 2 hours from Minneapolis in the opposite direction. ha ha I'll have to be happy with someone in Minnie.

And thanks for the suggestion. :)

• Members

Maybe try contacting any music schools in the area? See if you can get in touch with a guitar instructor and speak with him/her personally, maybe he/she could give you lessons or could refer you to someone who could. I'd think legato is the biggest thing for Satch. I'm also in the Twin Cities area and would also like to play like Satriani/Vai.

Thanks. What exactly do you mean that "I think legato is the biggest thing for Satch." ?

• Members

Thanks. What exactly do you mean that "I think legato is the biggest thing for Satch." ?

The whole legato technique that Satch uses all the time in his songs. Like this:

[YOUTUBE]YAwob_2SpyQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edit:

How fitting.

[YOUTUBE]hTl9GOSb_Fo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Todd Duane. Shrapnel recording artist, was a teacher in Europe at a GITish school, teaches in Minn/St Paul. Vid's on youtube under the name, treetopper.

Ditto. He teaches at Music Go Rounds in Woodbury and St Paul....killer player and teacher!

Archived