No more linux on the PS3 :(

J.L.C.

• Members

Latest firmware kills the "other OS" option.

You have to update because you can't get online without the current firmware.

I had linux installed but never used it because it was brutally slow; but, it still kinda sucks to lose a "cool" function.

:cry:

• Members

It was a cool option to know I had, but I almost certainly would never have used it. I personally don't blame Sony on this one - more the arrogant pirate who thought Sony wouldn't have the balls to do something about the security hole he was publicising around the net. Shame it had to impact so many legitimate users, but Sony would have been weak to let it slide, imho,

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

I think it's bull{censored} - I understand that Sony doesn't want people modding their PS3s, but from the sounds of it, if you update AND you have Linux installed (as I currently do), you just lose access to that partition of your HD.

So, effectively, I just lost 10 gig worth of usable HD space!

{censored} that.

I think that Sony should figure out a way to patch the holes in Hypervisor without having to remove functionality. The OtherOS option is something that I paid for, and I'm pissed.

• Members

Installing Yellowdog was one of the first things I did when I got a PS3.

It was a decent alternative to the XMB's web browser but that was pretty much the only excuse i would use to keep it installed.

Its really best for server applictaions and raw number crunching. Thats why the Army bought all those huge shipments of PS3's.

For users that want to keep Linux functionality, they just dont upgrade the PS3 official firmware. Since that whole scene is self reliant anyway, this has no real relevance.

Do I think it makes Sony look bad when they are under the internet microscope like no other company this gen? Yes.

• Members

I think it's bull{censored} - I understand that Sony doesn't want people modding their PS3s, but from the sounds of it, if you update AND you have Linux installed (as I currently do), you just lose access to that partition of your HD.

So, effectively, I just lost 10 gig worth of usable HD space!

{censored} that.

I think that Sony should figure out a way to patch the holes in Hypervisor without having to remove functionality. The OtherOS option is something that I paid for, and I'm pissed.

Backup your PS3 using the system restore in XMB then reformat the HDD and restore. You have top do this before installing Linux on Ps3 anyway. Surprised you forgot about that.

Archived