Fret leveling

mj3

• Members

I'm thinking of trying some different techniques for fret leveling and am interested in trying out the time honored benchstone and the more contemporary diamond levelers.

Regarding the benchstone, what type of oil lubricant would work best for this? Mineral... bore oil... 3 in 1?

As for the diamond file, is water a good lubricant or do I just use it dry?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I don't want to be a negative guy here, but I think the first time I saw someone using duct tape on my guitar would be the last time. Anyone else bothered by this?

Also, contact cement for loose frets? All the guys I know use superglue... I'm sure there is some good info, but he lost me after those two items.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I don't want to be a negative guy here, but I think the first time I saw someone using duct tape on my guitar would be the last time. Anyone else bothered by this?

Pete

DSC00141.jpg

Doesn't bother me at all...

• Members

Originally posted by mj3

I'm thinking of trying some different techniques for fret leveling and am interested in trying out the time honored benchstone and the more contemporary diamond levelers.

Regarding the benchstone, what type of oil lubricant would work best for this? Mineral... bore oil... 3 in 1?

As for the diamond file, is water a good lubricant or do I just use it dry?

Thanks in advance!

if you are using an oil stone, use the oil sold for sharpening, it is a very light oil - or something similar like 3in1.

Diamond hones/stones are meant to be used with water to carry away the slurry however they can be used dry without ill effect. Just wash the stone periodically.

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

if you are using an oil stone, use the oil sold for sharpening, it is a very light oil - or something similar like 3in1.

Diamond hones/stones are meant to be used with water to carry away the slurry however they can be used dry without ill effect. Just wash the stone periodically.

AJC

I went ahead and used the benchstone lubricated in 3 in 1 oil-- it was the most recommended oil from many techs I had been in contact with or read about regarding their methods. Worked great! No issues with the wood (I did seal the fretboard with low tack tape and cleaned up with naptha). I intend to move on to the diamond leveling file to clean up the frets. From there, I'll reradius the frets with a radius block (waterproof/wet-dry sandpaper)-- then of course, recrown.

Thanks for the input!

• Members

Duct tape??? maybe on planet drongo!

I'm about to start a leveling job and I use a wet stone, but not wet. I always clean the stone out after every use. If you're going out to buy a stone to use make sure it's nice and square, you won't get a flat finish with a bent stone. Don't go hard out at it either, take it a little bit at time, have a rest and come back to it. Remember you want some fret left so you can re-crown them!

As far as tape on the neck I use a scotch safe release masking tape. Even a standard masking tape can lift a clear finish off a maple neck, specially older cellulose finishes, so be very careful with what you use.

If you want something to do with Duct Tape then go here: fun with duct tape

• Members

One thing to do for sure is get the neck as straight as you can, then use a sharpie or magic marker and color each of the fret tops. This way you can see where you're taking off material. Once you have removed some marker from each fret, THEN it should be flat and ready to crown.

Pete

• Members

One thing to do for sure is get the neck as straight as you can, then use a sharpie or magic marker and color each of the fret tops. This way you can see where you're taking off material. Once you have removed some marker from each fret, THEN it should be flat and ready to crown.

Pete

a most genius idea:thu:

• Members

Pete

Totally agree. I use chalk, but there is always another way to skin a cat, so to speak :)

But I really think at the end of the day if you don't have any idea what your getting into then see a tech, and not just the guy at the guitar shop who does the restrings, seek out someone with experience.

Archived