How would i put an acoustic neck on a fernandes strat?

Europa760

• Members

Just don't. It doesn't line up--the acoustic neck ends at about the 14th fret, and a strat neck joins around the 17th or so. The end bocks of an acoustic neck and a bolt-on electric neck are not only different, they're opposite. One is vertical, one is horizontal.

Disregard this if a "fernandes" strat is not an electric guitar. I don't know what that means, and I just wanted to post on your thread since no one else has.

• Members

I'm guessing that a fernades strat is a strat copy of some sort. If so, then it is likely a 25 1/2" scale. I've never seen an acoustic with that scale length which would'nt match up plus as the guy before me mentioned, an acoustic neck and a strat neck are joined to the body in a totally different way.

Better go back to the drawing board.

• Members

out of curiosity, what are you going for here? is it just a matter of having a neck to put on a body you have laying around?

I've done something kinda like this...it was a bolt-on acoustic neck though. I still had to do some considerable alteration of the heel to get it to fit in the neck slot. Plus, I was more or less starting from scratch with my bridge (Tune o matic) so I could match the scale up with what the neck already had.

I really wouldn't do this unless you're ready to do some serious woodworking to make it fit and you're sure the scale is going to match up...also, you'vre got to consider the truss rod, on some acoustics the rod adjustment is accessed through the soundhole, which means the end of the rod is going to be sticking out with nowhere to go on a strat body.

If you're just looking for a different neck on your strat, I'd say buy or scavenge a normal strat repalcement neck, it'll be much less of a hassle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Europa760

fair points.

i just know how much i like playing acoustics and how they feel.

i thought i might be able to just change the neck pocket and screw it in

Might see if you can find an Epiphone neck from the early 70's...some of them were bolt-ons and would possibly fit.

Archived