Samples, Samples, Samples...

daddepants

• Members

Hey there!

I had a quick question for those who might be a little more "tuned in" than I. I'm a former DJ...I had to sell my decks in a moment of poverty X(...so I don't have the resources of going to the Record Exchange and finding those little bits of magic to use during a set.

I'm in a band currently but I still want to make my own music on the side and was wondering if anyone had any good resources on finding good samples.

Think DJ Shadow type stuff. I'm looking mainly for vocals/speeches/instructional type stuff. I play keys, I still have a mixer and an Akai MPD24 that I use with Live 7/Reason.

If anyone knows of any good places on the net to snag some cool samples let me know. I may just have to man up and pick up a new deck, even if it's just to transfer the sound files to Live....

...and a little scratchin' here and there. HEH!

Thanks!

• Members

Even an inexpensive recorder is good for grabbing samples. I used a Walkman Pro cassette deck for years, graduated to Minidisc, and now use an M-Audio MicroTrak. You can make almost any sample rock if you're willing to put ins some editing time. Even the lite versions of Peak (for Mac) and Wavelab or Sound Forge (for Windows) let you do some SERIOUS mangling!

Archived