Why are internet tabs always completely wrong?

Detonator

• Members

Seriously, every time I look up a tab, I find something that looks like it was penned by someone who's tone def. :facepalm:

Was looking for a tab for Buckethead's "Sled Ride" last night, and ran into this problem. Out of frustration, I decided to make my own. Really wasn't that hard, and I defy someone to find a mistake. :p

• Members

Most of the ones I find that are done in the correct tuning to the record are usually pretty workable. It's the ones that try to transcribe crap to std E or something that {censored} it all up when the song was recorded in Bb. :facepalm:
Where are you lookin'? :poke:

• Members

I suck at guitar. I couldn't tab crap yet, and honestly probably won't ever be great at it.

But, when I am hacking my way through a tab and it sounds NOTHING like the song I start to wonder if sometimes tabs aren't really a joke. And I mean there's sometimes I play it doesn't sound like the song and its me. Other times, its the tab.

I once figured out the guy had the tab right....but labeled the strings backwards. After reversing the string order, it sounded fine. :facepalm:

• Members
I usually just do a Google search

I'll check it out.
:thu:

www.911tabs.com

Kinda like a compilation site, and has ratings as well. Anything under 4.0 don't bother with. It's usually pretty close and all the 5.0 ones I've used have been accurate.

I'm not a huge tabs guy, but in a pinch they're useful for learning 10 songs in an afternoon for a gig that night.

• Members
www.911tabs.com

Kinda like a compilation site, and has ratings as well. Anything under 4.0 don't bother with. It's usually pretty close and all the 5.0 ones I've used have been accurate.

I'm not a huge tabs guy, but in a pinch they're useful for learning 10 songs in an afternoon for a gig that night.

Thanks. Yeah, I usually don't use tabs either, but certain songs like the one I posted can be somewhat time consuming to learn by ear. Sometimes you just want to slam it down and start playing. :rawk:

• Members
also some people have wacky ideas of what is the best or most efficient way to play some things
:o

I know exactly what you're talking about. Lead lines that would fit into a neat little run, but for some reason get transposed up or down a few frets and morphed into an impossible to play shape. That {censored} drives me nuts. :mad:

• Members

I actually most always go to YT and check for live vids first before hitting up any tab sites, just to see if I can pick up the hard/difficult/tricky parts from there and I can usually get the rest on my own.

• Members
I know exactly what you're talking about. Lead lines that would fit into a neat little run, but for some reason get transposed up or down a few frets and morphed into an impossible to play shape. That {censored} drives me nuts.
:mad:

Oh man I hear ya. As I learn the fretboard better I see tabs and think "but its so much easier to play that down here....where the chords are already being played...."

• Members
I've even found several mistakes in a few tab books that I've purchased in the past couple of years.
:facepalm:

I seem to remember the old Metallica books from the 90's having a lot of issues. They were also pretty expensive as I recall.

Archived