anatomy of a speaker jack

bluesboy

• Members

Hi all! I was told to post this here for some help... here goes. My specific questin is where to connect the positive and neagtive prongs on the input of teh speaker jack (I know where they go on the speakers themselves).

so... here we go yet again. On the speaker wiring chart found at celestion.com, it says positive of the speaker wire goes to "the tip", and negative goes to "the ring:. I see a prong that connects to a ring liek structure, so that one is obvious. however, i know the positive plug must go onto one of the other prongs, not the tip itself. Which one is the right one? (there are two left). One is directly opposite the tip (this is my guess) and the other one is sort of off to the side. Any help? Thanks!

PS my multimeter does not have the "beep" function, so that method of knowing is out for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If there's three prongs, then you have a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve)jack.

jack.plug.TRS.jpg

The longest prong is the Tip, the shorter one is actually the Ring, and the ring looking one connects to the Sleeve. Sounds confusing, but since we are a patriarchal society we name things from the male connector, not the female jack.

con-trs-balanced.gif

• Members

stick a jack into the plug and follow the connections

if it is a stereo jack you have and you will only be using it with a mono cable, either of the ring or sleeve connection will work, as in a mono male jack they are joined so it will connect, but for neatness (and fail safe if someone does use a stereo jack) its best to work out which it is

looking at the picture posted above, the tip connection is the highest one that will touch the tip of the jack if you insert it, the 'middle' connection is the one you would want to ignore, and you will see the base of the jack touching the last connection (process of eliminiation as you can follow which bit the tip and ring connect to)

David

Archived