Who's heard the new Blind Guardian?

Rogueleader

• Members
I have this dreadful feeling that I'm going to spin it a couple times and never listen to it again, just as I did with A Twist In The Myth and A Night At The Opera
:(

Yeah, I'll still pick it up, but I don't imagine anything new they do will grab me like Nightfall or any of the other earlier albums. A Night at the Opera I didn't mind (except for the drum sound), but A Twist in the Myth didn't even give me a semi. :idk:

Also not particularly a fan of Hansi's voice on ANATO or ATITM. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok. Update. I listened to the new Blind Guardian album today. I'm kinda lukewarm about it ...

The first four tracks are nice. The first is good once it gets going, the second is great, slows up a little bit on the third, and Ride Into Obsession speeds up again. Great "modern" Blind Guardian with nice throwbacks to the old stuff.

Then it takes a turn on the "ballad", Curse My Name. This one irked me the entire way through. Kinda reminded me of "A Past And Future Secret meets Blackmoore's Night" ... but without the awesomeness of A Past And Future Secret.

Then the next three songs are just overdone and go nowhere much like what you'd find on ANATO.

A Voice In The Dark takes you away from the ANATO-styled stuff and goes straight into the goods.

And the story ends (:o ) with Wheel of Time, which is just too much on the orchestra stuff .. and I just realized that I've already written my thoughts on this earlier in this thread :lol:

So yeah, I'll most likely rip the first half of the CD, add A Voice In The Dark to finish it out, and be done with it. The rest just doesn't do anything at all for me.

Granted, it's my first listen. But, I simply can't imagine those ANATO-sounding songs ever growing on me. Anyway, that's my take. Definitely some good {censored} on this album. All in all, much better than their last two albums, imo.

• Members

Granted, it's my first listen. But, I simply can't imagine those ANATO-sounding songs ever growing on me. Anyway, that's my take. Definitely some good {censored} on this album. All in all, much better than their last two albums, imo.

Eating my words a bit here. Re-listening to a few of those "bad" ones, and they're growing on me. I think listening to the songs out of context, i.e. alone and away from the speedier tracks that I love, makes them more palatable.

• Members

Yeah, I got my copy of it a couple of weeks ago or whatever, and I'm pleasantly surprised by it. First listens I wasn't sure about some of it (Ride Into Obsession rocked my balls off right from the start though!), but over time it's grown on me more and more. The ballads are the weaker parts of the album IMO... they're just not as good as their older ballads. :idk:

Hansi's voice also sounds better than it has the last couple of albums. :thu:

• Members
Yeah, I got my copy of it a couple of weeks ago or whatever, and I'm pleasantly surprised by it. First listens I wasn't sure about some of it (Ride Into Obsession rocked my balls off right from the start though!), but over time it's grown on me more and more. The ballads are the weaker parts of the album IMO... they're just not as good as their older ballads.
:idk:

Hansi's voice also sounds better than it has the last couple of albums.
:thu:

Yep, "Ride Into Obsession" is fantastic, and the three tracks preceding it built it up pretty nicely. I love the first half of this disc, along with "A Voice in the Dark" from the later part.

Other than the ballad, the second half is growing on me. "Valkyries" has a Bright Eyes / Nightfall [the album] feel in places, and "Control The Divine" sounds better the second and third times through. "War of the Thrones" is just ... I dunno ... just is doing nothing for me after repeated listens. "Wheel of Time" is better, too, after a couple listens, but it was ok the first time anyway. It's just that the orchestra stuff gets in the way and is too much (e.g. during a chorus I'm trying to listen to the vocals, but these damned trumpets keep interrupting).

But yes, definitely better than the past two albums. The first half is definitely how I'd want a "modern" Blind Guardian to sound :thu:

Archived