Old Furniture Donor for Guitar Question

voneville

• Members

I have an antique mahogany headboard from the 50's or 60's for a twin bed that I've been dragging around for about 10 years. I don't think I'll ever use it as a headboard again, so I've been thinking about using it to build a guitar. It's thin though, so I would have to sandwhich it and laminate it (3 ply). Is it worth doing? Will that have an adverse effect on the tonal properties?

• Members

You would be better off buying a body blank if you're going to do your own build

BUT

If this is your first build and you are wanting to get some experience without investing the money, re-using the headboard may not be a bad idea. If this is the case, just try to keep it simple and learn as you go.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

I would sell it. A body blank from a supplier should only be about $40-50 bucks

True, but that body blank won't come with the mojo from a headboard that's at least 50 years old. Who knows how many cherries were popped right next to that headboard? :D

And on a more serious note, there's a good chance the headboard could be Honduran mahogany given its age.

• Members

Originally posted by chump5150

True, but that body blank won't come with the mojo from a headboard that's at least 50 years old. Who knows how many cherries were popped right next to that headboard?
:D

And on a more serious note, there's a good chance the headboard could be Honduran mahogany given its age.

The bottom line is that it will be a glued together body made from a bunch of pieces of headboard. Any benefit you could get from it being honduran mahogany will be defeated by all the glue and separate pieces of wood that wont resonate equally.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

The bottom line is that it will be a glued together body made from a bunch of pieces of headboard. Any benefit you could get from it being honduran mahogany will be defeated by all the glue and separate pieces of wood that wont resonate equally.

Do you realize what you're saying? By that logic, PRS and other high-end guitar manufacturers should stop producing guitars with mahogany backs and thick maple tops because they're glued together and don't resonate equally...

And here I was, under the delusion that they were doing that to make sweet-looking guitars that combine the tonal qualities of mahogany and maple. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'd be surprized if that headboard was a single piece of solid mahogany. Even in the 50's they laminated a lot of big mahogany pieces. If it IS solid mahogany, it's probably worth 500 bucks as a headboard. Much less than that if you hack it up.

Sell the headboard on EBAY.

Buy a nice one-piece mahogany body of your choosing from Warmoth. Spend the remaining balance on lap dances at your local strip club.

• Members

Originally posted by chump5150

Do you realize what you're saying? By that logic, PRS and other high-end guitar manufacturers should stop producing guitars with mahogany backs and thick maple tops because they're glued together and don't resonate equally...

And here I was, under the delusion that they were doing that to make sweet-looking guitars that combine the tonal qualities of mahogany and maple.
:rolleyes:

Glue doesn't resonate like wood. The more you add, the more resonance you lose. Will it make a huge difference? Probably not, but I would sandwich a different wood in the middle and chamber the body to make it lighter as well.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I'd be surprized if that headboard was a single piece of solid mahogany. Even in the 50's they laminated a lot of big mahogany pieces. If it IS solid mahogany, it's probably worth 500 bucks as a headboard. Much less than that if you hack it up.

Sell the headboard on EBAY.

Buy a nice one-piece mahogany body of your choosing from Warmoth. Spend the remaining balance on lap dances at your local strip club.

Not only did they laminate mahogany, they also laiminated other cheaper hardwoods and put a mahogany veneer over them, so the insides may not even be mahogany. Check the bottom edges closely to see if it is a veneer top/back, sometimes they would finish the top/sides with hardwood to cover the edges.

I spend most of the money on lap-dances, and just get a pre-routed body somewhere. Making tight/accurate/square routs for neck pockets, etc, isn't a job for an amateur.

• Members
Originally posted by exafro

Glue doesn't resonate like wood. The more you add, the more resonance you lose. Will it make a huge difference? Probably not, but I would sandwich a different wood in the middle and chamber the body to make it lighter as well. [/QUOT

I know glue won't resonate like wood. I also suggested in an earlier post that he use a different wood for the middle ply, so I agree with you there.

Mahogany tends to be heavy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way, as owners of some vintage Gibsons know. And the lighter mahogany resonates better. I've never played a vintage Gibson, but I own a Talman style Ibanez PGM900 that's a non-chambered solid-body mahogany guitar... The body is so light it's actually a little neck heavy, the whole guitar weighs just over 6 pounds, and resonates and sustains extremely well.

With all that said, I seriously doubt the old headboard will be a choice piece of resonating wood. But with all the speculation about the headboard's construction in this thread, now I'm curious to see what this thing actually looks like.

Where has the original poster disappeared to? Post a couple of pics, voneville! Let us know what you end up doing...

• Members

Originally posted by Doctorx

I say go ahead and do it. Don't listen to the negativatists. A guitar built from a piece of wood like that would have great mojo, and give you a good story to tell.

If you want inspiration and proof that such a thing can be done, just look at
Brian May's Red Special
, built out of a 100 year old fireplace mantel and motorcycle parts.

Finally another poster who believes in mojo! :wave:

Archived