rangemaster full boost

grishnakh

• Members

Personal opinion here, so take it however you like.

I don't "like" Rangemasters when you get "too much bass" into the circuit. They just aren't designed to be "full range" boosters. In my experience, a .1uF cap just lets too much bass in for "this" circuit.

There *is*, however a great "happy medium" between full range and treble booster that sounds excellent. Try a .022uF-.047uF cap for the input cap. Plenty of bass, without getting too "flabby".

my $.02,

GRINGO

• Members

Originally posted by grishnakh

I'm planning to put together a dallas rangemaster and would like to know what needs to be done to toggle from treble to full boost.

Thanks

The input coupling cap on the original was a .005uF cap. I have built several of the circuits and I have found that a .0068, .01 and a .022 sound pretty good. You can put a few values on a rotary switch to compensate for different guitars/ pickups.If your amp is pretty bright, you can use a 25K potentiometer instead of a 10K it will not drive the amp as hard, but it will thicken up the sound a bit. Most of all use quality components in the circuit such as orange drop caps and at the very least metal film resistors and wire them point to point, this cuts down on noise.

Archived