is bad to shim a neck ALOT??

minorseventh

• Members

im putting together a tele... its a "series 10" body (very cool floral pattern) and an allparts neck. everything went super smooth til i strung it up and the neck is sitting too low in the pocket.

i cut some thin slices of birch to the exact size of the neck heel and then had to add (so far) one more strip to angle it forward a little. then for some odd reason i had to raise the saddles to thier maximum hieght, even though they just barely clear the edge of the neck in front of the lipstick pickup. now its ok with fairly good action, although i havent even attempted to intonate yet.

so it appears to play decent, but when i give the neck a solid crank it twists and creaks a little.

my question is how much is too much? shimming-wise

• Members

^^^ so thats what happens when you give bad info.

just a further question about the topic. one of my guitars is playable (but barely) because the neck sits too low but i would really like to try shims. will shimming interfere much with the tone? i hear if not done correctly it can interfere with sustain.

• Members

well since no one else is jumping in heres my 2 cents.. although i am obviously NOT an expert!

i dont think light shimming will affect the tone or sustian in a noticable way. i use thin strips of wood used for dollhouses i found at michaels craft store. cut em with scissors and they work great.

i have owned alot of vintage and cheapos, and almost all of them required a lift here and there.

my problem now is that i had to shim the whole neck 1/8", which in my opinion is too much.

Archived