Genz-Benz Speaker replacement?

framushead

• Members

I'm sure its been done or discussed already.. But thinking on swapping out speakers from the G-B 212 flex cab i have..

I play hard rock and metallica type sounds.. with the mesa Dual recto i currently have.. also may get another amp down the road such as a soldano hr50+

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

ive had great results with the two speakers I've tired... G12H-100's, and EMI swamp thangs. You're probably gonna get some responses from people who say changing the speakers is bad, becuase of ported cab design blah, blah blah...Honestly I think those stock speakers are garbage, and you will probably be more happy with whatever you put in. :thu:

edit: avoid speakers that are too flubby / loose. I think you will see your best results using a speaker with a tight bottom end. :thu:

• Members

In general its not the greatest thing to replace the speakers in a ported cab as its not just a box with speaker shaped holes in it. Ported cabs are built around the speakers in them. In the case of the G-Flex it was originally built for George Lynch and he ended up destroying the v30s that were originally in them so they designed beefed up speakers to handle the extra stress and those are the speakers in it now.

Now many people have changed the speakers and sometimes like the results, but you might want to keep it in the back of you mind that they had to design special speakers so they wouldnt be destroyed in that cab.

• Members

In general its not the greatest thing to replace the speakers in a ported cab as its not just a box with speaker shaped holes in it. Ported cabs are built around the speakers in them. In the case of the G-Flex it was originally built for George Lynch and he ended up destroying the v30s that were originally in them so they designed beefed up speakers to handle the extra stress and those are the speakers in it now.

Now many people have changed the speakers and sometimes like the results, but you might want to keep it in the back of you mind that they had to design special speakers so they would be destroyed in that cab.

I totally agree in regards to ported cabs like the theile cab. G Flex cab not so much. :thu:

Archived