Why was the marshall power brake discontinued?

CrateSmasher

• Members

The Power Brake is basically a reactive load, and is almost identical to the electrical equivalent of a speaker.

It has a "multi tap choke" that works exactly like an autotransformer. An autotransformer, is basically two inductors stacked on top of each other and are coupled magnetically. If the wiper is placed directly in the center, it splits the inductor into two. If you place 240VAC between the top and the bottom and then tap a signal from the centertap to either end you will get half the voltage out. Buy moving the center tap, you will vary the voltage between the center tap and each end.

Instead of a "wiper" on the transformer, it has multiple taps that can be used as the center tap, and these are switched through S1b and S1a. S1a controls the signal flowing to the reactive load, and S1b the signal to the speaker. The signal and the reactive load are placed across the autotransformer, and the output to the speaker is taken from the centertap to one end of the transformer.

What he said^

:confused::confused:

• Members

That sounds pretty nice! Now if they could make it smaller it would kick ass. I got excited for a sec when I saw that there was a rack option. This however left me less than impressed.

prx-rack-542.jpg

ha!!,..yes,..they are somewhat big!!,..and i talked to jeff and told him i would buy one if they were rack mountable,..thats how i got it,(and he through in the rack mounting carriage for free)...not a big deal to me,...but they do take up 6 or 7 spots on your rack,...but for me it was a very small price to pay

• Members

i think this is the truth!!...there of the old school of attentuators,...they caNT EVEN COME CLOSE to the new generation of attentuators,...ARACOM & PHAUSTINE,...

for all of the people who loved/love ther powerbrakes,(or any other attantuator)...do your self a favor and try one of the 2 mentioned earlier,...it will do exactly what an attentuator should do,...(like you thought they would do before ya actualy got one),...i have the ARACOM PRX150 PRO,...it takes any cab/s ohmage ya wanna THROW AT IT,...ZERO TONE SUCKAGE,...virtualy invisible!!!,..it has become one of the most important pieces of gear i have!!

Damn, those attenuators are really overpriced, $660 & $800; kind of ridiculous considering how much it costs to build one. I'll stick with my Dr Z Airbrake; I only payed $150 for mine.

• Members

I had a Hot Plate with an AC30 and although it got the drive from the AC30, it didn't give me the proper flat out AC30 sound I was after. A big part of that tone was the speakers moving.

I don't see much point in attenuators tbh. If you can't turn up loud, don't buy loud amps.

Archived