Why was the marshall power brake discontinued?

CrateSmasher

• Members

I'm pretty sure they quit making them because nobody was buying them.

i think this is the truth!!...there of the old school of attentuators,...they caNT EVEN COME CLOSE to the new generation of attentuators,...ARACOM & PHAUSTINE,...

for all of the people who loved/love ther powerbrakes,(or any other attantuator)...do your self a favor and try one of the 2 mentioned earlier,...it will do exactly what an attentuator should do,...(like you thought they would do before ya actualy got one),...i have the ARACOM PRX150 PRO,...it takes any cab/s ohmage ya wanna THROW AT IT,...ZERO TONE SUCKAGE,...virtualy invisible!!!,..it has become one of the most important pieces of gear i have!!

• Members

I have two Marshall Power Brakes and one THD Hot Plate.

If you go more than three or four clicks on a cranked amp the Power Brake or the Hot Plate both start to squash the tone to mush.

I use them to balance the volume when I'm using multiple speaker cabinets that have speakers with different efficiencies.

As long as you are not clipping the power tubes you can use them as much as you want and they will not effect the tone.

• Members

i think this is the truth!!...there of the old school of attentuators,...they caNT EVEN COME CLOSE to the new generation of attentuators,...ARACOM & PHAUSTINE,...

for all of the people who loved/love ther powerbrakes,(or any other attantuator)...do your self a favor and try one of the 2 mentioned earlier,...it will do exactly what an attentuator should do,...(like you thought they would do before ya actualy got one),...i have the ARACOM PRX150 PRO,...it takes any cab/s ohmage ya wanna THROW AT IT,...ZERO TONE SUCKAGE,...virtualy invisible!!!,..it has become one of the most important pieces of gear i have!!

That sounds pretty nice! Now if they could make it smaller it would kick ass. I got excited for a sec when I saw that there was a rack option. This however left me less than impressed.

prx-rack-542.jpg

• Members

Well to anyone wanting a Powerbreak, there's plenty about on ebay or they come up fairly often. I use AC30's and with an attenuator called a Mango and it really works well! There's a guy on youtube called Peter who does a round up video comparison of several attenuators and says that the Hotplate may be a great attenuator but sounds not so great with an AC30! He prefers the Powerbreak over that! Check him out...his vids really interesting.

• Members

Well to anyone wanting a Powerbreak, there's plenty about on ebay or they come up fairly often. I use AC30's and with an attenuator called a Mango and it really works well! There's a guy on youtube called Peter who does a round up video comparison of several attenuators and says that the Hotplate may be a great attenuator but sounds not so great with an AC30! He prefers the Powerbreak over that! Check him out...his vids really interesting.

[YOUTUBE]1MuU4xiQOO4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have two Marshall Power Brakes and one THD Hot Plate.

If you go more than three or four clicks on a cranked amp the Power Brake or the Hot Plate both start to squash the tone to mush.

I use them to balance the volume when I'm using multiple speaker cabinets that have speakers with different efficiencies.

As long as you are not clipping the power tubes you can use them as much as you want and they will not effect the tone.

Why cant I have tube clipping and use the attenuator more than a few clicks. Thats kind of the point.. to have the tubes clip at a softer vol. Id like to loose 10-12db

ARACOM is a lot of money. You can get a used power brake for under 200$.

So the brake is based off old technology? What dose it use, resistors?

Is the weber mini mass, with the speaker motor, way superior to the brake?

• Members

I thought the brake sounded good in that vid. The old weber with resistors sounds horrible.
So again whats inside the brake?

The Power Brake is basically a reactive load, and is almost identical to the electrical equivalent of a speaker.

It has a "multi tap choke" that works exactly like an autotransformer. An autotransformer, is basically two inductors stacked on top of each other and are coupled magnetically. If the wiper is placed directly in the center, it splits the inductor into two. If you place 240VAC between the top and the bottom and then tap a signal from the centertap to either end you will get half the voltage out. Buy moving the center tap, you will vary the voltage between the center tap and each end.

Instead of a "wiper" on the transformer, it has multiple taps that can be used as the center tap, and these are switched through S1b and S1a. S1a controls the signal flowing to the reactive load, and S1b the signal to the speaker. The signal and the reactive load are placed across the autotransformer, and the output to the speaker is taken from the centertap to one end of the transformer.

• Members

I am assuming you have tried both?

Yes, while neither is perfect, there seemed to be a "fizz" to the Power brake I didn't like.

The Hot Plate at -8db (2 clicks) seems to be the sweet spot for me, gets the output stage of My Marshalls or AC30's cookin' and leaves enough headroom for volume boosts.

Archived