My Guitar Build @ Building The Ergonomic Guitar

ririzarry

• Members

cool, you've done really well there. it'd be interesting to take the idea of an ergonomic guitar as far as you can with maybe a ply body that can be used as a prototype.

Eventually, I'll take a shot at my own design. Right now, I'm focused on learning what I can from this build experience and mulling over the start of the next build. Like guitar build #1, subsequent builds will be similarly documented. This is just a start...

Regards,

Rob

• Members

The Guitar is Unique.That is the best thing about it.It is not a copy converted nor a few thrown together by a jap or Kkorean factory by some odball specs.Its a true first guitar.I think it is wonderfull for your first guitar and has some promis.I have had guitars start out to look as one thing and by the time they are done with my mind changes they have looked like another.Now I am at the point whatever I make up on paper is what the end product is but that open minded build like this is great.I love it.I do think ergo guitars also have an untapped market.People have just not filled in a taste way the correct ergo guitar to become a big name.I love the looks of this and personally think with a super birdseye neck and body it would be a huge consumer consideration.

Not bashing the guitar at all I think it is great just looking at what a demand look perspective would be.Many have attempted a full out quality ergo guitar and they realy have not hit the top and I do think it is a great Idea for an up an coming luthier to work out a nice ergo guitar.This is one if not the best specimen I have seen to date.

Anyone can do rods and carbon fiber etc.I have seen a million attempts but this thing in all theory is still a complete quality guitar and with playability and a super nice wood look it could be a hit.You never know.Atta boy man nice !!!!!I love honest craftsmanship and hard work.Please keep posted how it evolves.I sat back and thought in my mind 100% birdseye wood (tons of eyes)and all with all black hardware and black dot inlays the public may just buy the thing if built correct and for a pretty penny.I give it a 9.5 and that is good comeing from me.I love it.

• Members

cool man, looks like an ovation breadwinner.... always wanted one of those..

catalog2.jpg

The similarity between the Breadwinner and the Klein Electric is unmistakeable. In fact, the Ovation folks considered suing Klein for the design but ultimately decided against it since Ovation was never successful in the electric guitar market. More on this and the Ovation design - Ovation Breadwinner.

I'm a big fan of the Ovation design as well and have tossed around the idea of building a guitar based on its form.

Regards,

Rob

• Members

Many have attempted a full out quality ergo guitar and they realy have not hit the top and I do think it is a great Idea for an up an coming luthier to work out a nice ergo guitar.This is one if not the best specimen I have seen to date.

Anyone can do rods and carbon fiber etc.I have seen a million attempts but this thing in all theory is still a complete quality guitar and with playability and a super nice wood look it could be a hit.You never know.Atta boy man nice !!!!!I love honest craftsmanship and hard work.Please keep posted how it evolves.I sat back and thought in my mind 100% birdseye wood (tons of eyes)and all with all black hardware and black dot inlays the public may just buy the thing if built correct and for a pretty penny.I give it a 9.5 and that is good comeing from me.I love it.

Thanks for the comments. I intentionally kept things simple in terms of my first build choices including the use of alder for the body wood. I think that a nice maple top or even a swamp ash body would go a long way to add additional visual interest. For now, I'm enjoying the stripped down look of this one and I don't have to worry about banging it around. :)

Regards,

Rob

• Members

That looks fantastic. Considering your strong interest in ergonomic designs, have you ever looked into Kenny Burrell Guitars? I find it amazing how he came up with methods to bend and twist the entire body and neck angle the way he does as I sincerely doubt one would ever learn about this in any luthier school. I think his guitars looks very elegant too for some reason.

I would love to get my paws on the classical!

classicfrontabm5.jpg

• Members

That looks fantastic. Considering your strong interest in ergonomic designs, have you ever looked into Kenny Burrell Guitars? I find it amazing how he came up with methods to bend and twist the entire body and neck angle the way he does as I sincerely doubt one would ever learn about this in any luthier school. I think his guitars looks very elegant too for some reason.

The Burrell guitars certainly fit the bill and while my blog has focused on electric guitar designs, I'll be covering acoustic guitars in further detail. I just posted my first such article about Linda Manzer's "Wedge" guitar.

I'll be following up with other acoustic and electric guitar designs that qualify as "ergonomic".

Regards,

Rob

• 8 months later...
  • Members

That looks fantastic. Considering your strong interest in ergonomic designs, have you ever looked into Leo Burrell Guitars? I find it amazing how he came up with methods to bend and twist the entire body and neck angle the way he does as I sincerely doubt one would ever learn about this in any luthier school. I think his guitars looks very elegant too for some reason.

classicfrontabm5.jpg

I contacted Leo Burrell about his instruments and covered his work in several articles:

Burrell Guitars - Instruments That Conform to the Guitarist

Leo Burrell's Acoustic Guitars - A Follow Up

The first is an introduction to his work. The second takes a more in depth look at specific features.

Regards,

Rob

• Members

robert-

i like your project and your website is informative.

i know the 1st time i saw a klein, was in an add that had david torn and andy summers (along w/ pierce amps) back in early 90's-and i remember thinking that was the ugliest guitar i'd ever seen, didn't care for it (i was a big steinberger fan, and owned a GL model)

but about 10 yrs later when i saw it again, and then when i was having my own wrist problems and started to think about building my own variation of a klein, i began to appreciate them more.

as long as there are imaginative people trying to solve unique problems out there , there will always be unique alternatives to the standard fare...

i guess my one problem w/ the steinberger model, is that the parts are not as readily available or adaptive. but that could be that we've only had steinberger around for 20+ yrs, vs. strat parts have been around for 50+ yrs, and their's a lot more strats and strat parts available....

s---

www.myspace.com/scotthansen

• Members

I think it looks cool. Have you seen the Torzal twisted neck bass ? I have been wondering how I could possibly make a twisted neck.

The Torzal stuff is very interesting. Luthier Jerome Little used it on a custom bass for Xavier Padilla. More recently, he made a Torzal twist neck for a real Klein electric. Here's the article.

Jerome also released a video of it in action.

As far as making such a neck, I asked Jerome about it. He used to make them by hand but it was very difficult. He's automated the process at this point to insure quality.

Regards,

Rob

• Members

Fascinating. Ever since I first saw the bass neck I have been wondering how on earth I would make one of those and stick a truss rod in in it. (I have an idea for a router jig...) If I can find the necks for sale I would likely buy one. But I will probably end up having to try to make one.

Wouldn't it be trippy to have a headless, fanned fret, twisted neck ?

• Members

robert-

i like your project and your website is informative.

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the site.

as long as there are imaginative people trying to solve unique problems out there , there will always be unique alternatives to the standard fare...

Absolutely! I've been looking for just these same folks throughout. Aside from Leo Burrell, Jerome Little and the Klein, take a look at stuff from Jerome Barde and Rick Toone. Very interesting stuff.

i guess my one problem w/ the steinberger model, is that the parts are not as readily available or adaptive. but that could be that we've only had steinberger around for 20+ yrs, vs. strat parts have been around for 50+ yrs, and their's a lot more strats and strat parts available....

It's a good point and one I've been trying to address in several ways. There's my article on headless guitar resources, for example. But market forces being what they are, headless guitars aren't likely to overtake conventional guitars. In fact, ABM which was a prominent headless guitar part manufacturer, recently went out of business. So the challenge remains.

Of course, you can always use an alternative approach that uses conventional guitar parts such as you see in musician Henry Olsen's acoustic/electric. Or you can build your own headless guitar tuners.

Fortunately, alternatives exist. :)

Regards,

Rob

Archived