mick mars! weird guy, how did he get his aalmost brutz tones..

lumpy555

• Members

Crue was incredible back in the day. One of the greatest bands to come out of the whole L.A. scene, IMO. I wouldn't call them hair metal at all. They came more from the late 70's glam scene, like Ziggy Stardust and New York Dolls. The best thing about them, they did it without compromise. They were like "love us or hate us, this is who we are, so FU!!!" Love that attitude. And man, did they live the stereotypical rock and roll lifestyle!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[YOUTUBE]Vm5auKDPoSY&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OglaGA-UiLc&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KQMBz6HvSoM&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bHP6U5vQ3mU&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Solid guitar player, although i heard he was SLOPPY as hell in concert and that Nikki actually wrote some of the guitar riffs and parts? How much of this is true???

:confused:

• Members

Some buddies of mine wanted to do a Crue Tribute this past summer, and called me to play lead guitar in it. I thought 'sure; I love Mick's playing, and he's got some awesome riffs I'd love to learn'. {censored}, that guy's got a pick hand like no other I've tried to do. His {censored} is very well thought out and executed. It was a lot more challenging to learn than I had anticipated, and the songs gave me a kick in the ass and a great workout.

He does deserve a lot more credit, and his solos are always perfect for the song. No overindulgence or self-satisfied wanking; just great blues based solos. He admits his soloing technique is very limited, but he gets a lot of miles out of it.

And the whole step down tuning took a while to get used to, but like was said earlier, it's integral to his tone IMO. After I got used to it I kind of like it.

He certainly deserves a lot more attention than he gets.

We ended up doing the Crue set again last Friday night, and will probably make it a regular thing as it goes over quite huge here.

• Members

the crue were a great {censored}ing band i dont care what anybody says. I still love all their albums, even Theater of Pain. How long was Home Sweet Home the #1 song in 1985 and 1986 on mtv? I think it was #1 for almost 2 years, thats INSANE there isnt a rock song that could endure that kind of mass longevity today, not even close.

• Members

outta them fenders+jcm-800s?? 25+ years ago the maps companys didnt have the HI-GAINER STUFF of today. i mean mics guitrz,fuckn single coils? he still managed to get a lil brewtl. early crue,he did have diff. axes,kramer,bc ritches,but i mean his fenders were quite good sounding. an he did get asked during a live interview bout his raw tones an his reply was guitfiddle strait intoo marshall!!!! fwiw,he did smile a lil an kinda raised his frett hand and wiggled his fingers as if to say,TOANZ RITE HERE FELLAS
:thu:
:.....

I understand what you mean...but boy, that was a painful read.

• Members

And the whole step down tuning took a while to get used to, but like was said earlier, it's integral to his tone IMO. After I got used to it I kind of like it.

Totally OT here... The band I am in plays a whole step down as well. It did take me awhile to get use to but now I can't see myself playing any other way.

• Members

the crue were a great {censored}ing band i dont care what anybody says. I still love all their albums, even Theater of Pain. How long was Home Sweet Home the #1 song in 1985 and 1986 on mtv? I think it was #1 for almost 2 years, thats INSANE there isnt a rock song that could endure that kind of mass longevity today, not even close.

couldn't have put it better. Mick never got the credit he deserved - helluva player & he singlehandedly laid it all down for the most well known band of a generation. Pretty select company ...

• Members

Crue was incredible back in the day. One of the greatest bands to come out of the whole L.A. scene, IMO.
I wouldn't call them hair metal at all
. They came more from the late 70's glam scene, like Ziggy Stardust and New York Dolls. The best thing about them, they did it without compromise. They were like "love us or hate us, this is who we are, so FU!!!" Love that attitude. And man, did they live the stereotypical rock and roll lifestyle!!!

motleycrue007-jpg3.jpg

Riiiiiggggght....:lol:

• Members

Back in the day ,players would often "piggyback" A pair of marshalls . They'd run a second amp to a dummy load or extra cab BUT they would run the line out to the input of the main amp. It was early boosting! Mars and Lee were the best element of the crue.

Archived