Bass recording help/advice

maiden_fan

• Members

Hi

My band is recording tomorrow and I need some last minute help.

I am looking for some recording advice to get the most out of our bassists setup. He is pretty clueless about settings/gear etc. He has an ashdown combo and a ok quality ibanez bass with passive pickups.

We play iron maiden/old style metal and I want a bass tone that sits in the mix like and sounds like Steve Harris's on Powerslave( a tall order I know). What can I do to get in that ball park for recording with his equipment and with eq's / other stuff at the studio?

Any other bass recording advice is appreciated.

Cheers Tony

• Members

Hi i'm a session bass player, bass teacher and I'm also a producer!

My best advice is to have 2 channels recording simultaneously.

1. One as a D.I.

(Direct input into the DAW/Soundcard/Interface)

Completely dry with No FX/EQ/Pedal and set Bass's own pre-amp (Presuming that bass is active) to neutral (everything center)

2. Use a suitable mic to mic up one cone of the bass cabinet. Really sit down with the sound and try and get something with a lot of character from his amp head. Dont worry too much about pushing the low frequencies as these can be added later on when you mix. I would say concentrate on the "low-mids" and possibly "high-mids" or "high frequencies" high mids will bring out that dirt if he is using any pedals i.e. sansamp (which is great for DI bass)

Hope that helps,

If it ends up sounding crap then for a small price I can record bass on your track and send you the finished 24bit/46khz audio, I have my own recording studio and I use Lynx A/D convertors which are very high end Analog to Digital Convertors.

Andy

Checkout my bass playing here - http://www.andysaxton.com/#/solo-bass-videos/4544606514

Archived