Help! Mark V started buzzing loudly suddenly at practice

primeholy

• Members

Probably a tube. Could be a power amp tube, too. Does it happen on all channels or just one? Does it happen in all wattage modes? Does it happen in channel 2 when the loop is hard-bypassed?

You might be able to narrow it down without having to replace the tubes one by one.

Too bad you've got this problem with new tubes. I recently ordered a set of seven tubes from a well-regarded dealer, and two were dead on arrival. Alas.

• Members

Sounds like a preamp tube. What are you running for the Phase Inverter? 12AX7? SPAX7-A? 12AT7?

Whatever mesa put stock in there is there. I have a ruby 12ax7ac7 in v1 and v7 which I just got and put in about a week ago. Tonight was the first time I played longer than ten minutes and got it up to band volume since putting those in.

• Members

Pull the PI tube and power it up. If it still buzzes then its something in the power amp. If its not the power amp put the PI back in pull the nearest pretube to the PI and power it up - rinse and repeat through all the pres until the buzzing goes. This will tell you where in the amp you have the problem so you can narrow it down to a bad tube or at least which part of the circuit is playing up.

• Members

Pull the PI tube and power it up. If it still buzzes then its something in the power amp. If its not the power amp put the PI back in pull the nearest pretube to the PI and power it up - rinse and repeat through all the pres until the buzzing goes. This will tell you where in the amp you have the problem so you can narrow it down to a bad tube or at least which part of the circuit is playing up.

I'm gonna look n00b as fuk but... you can do that?! :confused:

• Members

Sure, all it will do is stop that part of the circuit passing signal to the next. When you build an amp one of the first tests you do is to power it up with no tubes in so you can measure voltages at certain points to make sure you havent {censored}ed up. Its not ideal to run like this for extended periods of time since the power transformer is unregulated so it will output a higher voltage than expected under loaded conditions which some components might not like if they are close to their operational limits.

In this case it will be immediately obvious if the noise has gone so the amp only needs to be on play for 10 seconds tops.

• Members

I replaced the new preamp tubes with the old ones and swithced out the power tubes with some from my IV I used to have. Same thing happened. Im not done swapping preamp tubes(although it is a pain:mad:). Is there any way a rectifier tube would do this?

• Members

3. Change the tubes

The filament in a tube can cause hum. When tubes get old, sometimes they hum. Try unplugging tubes going from right to left looking from the back.
When you pull out a tube that reduces or eliminates hum, try a new one in that position. The rectifier tube could be causing hum as well. Sometimes in a 4 power tube amp, one power tube will fail and this will cause the amp to hum.

Archived