Re-cap a DIY project?

tutu-1

• Members

can i recap my Silvertone twin twelve 1484? i've got a schematic and can use a soldering iron. that's about it. am i stupid to even consider it?

a couple weeks ago, i posted a similar question when i was considering swapping out my output transformer. one guy said, 'go for it' so i did. i did it successfully (actually a very easy job -- easier than modding an overdrive pedal, but more risk of death i suppose), but it turns out it wasn't what was causing the abysmally quiet and distorted signal. I am guessing the next place to look in this 40 yr old amp is the capacitors, eh? maybe it should have been the first place i looked, but i've heard so much about these OT's blowing and it looked like an easy enough job that i just swapped it out (used a Hot Rod Deluxe OT)

"Why don't you just take it to a tech?" Because, silly, techs are for sissies. Or, because it's a $200 amp and i'm not going to pay a tech $40/hr to have all the tinker-fun.

• Members

Bring it to a tech. Caps can be pretty deadly when touched the wrong way. You can try, but keep in mind that they need to be drained using a resistor (10-100Kohm) in parallel with them, hold for about 5 seconds. Do it to all capacitors you will work on, especially if you are not sure which ones are filter caps and/or signal/coulping/drain caps.

• Members

can i recap my Silvertone twin twelve 1484? .

Sure; replacing the filter caps should always be done on an old amp.

20 years is a pretty good age for an electrolytic cap, and replacing them is usually the first thing I do on an old amp.

I usually just use short jumpers to short 'em out before I yank 'em.

Archived