Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100: Can you pull 2 power tubes?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

All good info. Thanks guys.

I'm talking about experimentation purposes only. If I get one, I'd probably only gig with the full 100. Also, how hard are these to bias? Can I get a tool/meter and do it myself? I'm pretty handy and not afraid to get nasty with a screwdriver or soldering iron, I just don't know too much about amp guts... or electricity. :idk:

• Members

All good info. Thanks guys.

I'm talking about experimentation purposes only. If I get one, I'd probably only gig with the full 100. Also, how hard are these to bias? Can I get a tool/meter and do it myself? I'm pretty handy and not afraid to get nasty with a screwdriver or soldering iron, I just don't know too much about amp guts... or electricity.
:idk:

All you need is a multimeter that can read millivolts (buy one from radio shack for $30...).

You don't even need to pull the amp chassis from the headshell - there are 3 prongs and a couple of mini screws on the back.

The center is ground. Put black lead here.

THe outter prongs are where your red lead will go...outside of that is a screw. Adjust teh screw closest to the prong your red lead is on.

According to Marshall...

Set it to read 90mV

Most people will say that's too damn hot...I usually set my TSL100 between 60mV and 70mV

Repeat steps for the other prong/screw so they are at the same level, and you're done.

Also...make sure you leave your amp's speaker plugged in, and you do have to turn on the amp completely (as in, ready to play!) - leave the guitar cord out though, and let it run for a good 3+ minutes solid before adjusting the bias as the tubes will still be leveling out as they warm up.

• Members

All you need is a multimeter that can read millivolts (buy one from radio shack for $30...).

You don't even need to pull the amp chassis from the headshell - there are 3 prongs and a couple of mini screws on the back.

The center is ground. Put black lead here.

THe outter prongs are where your red lead will go...outside of that is a screw. Adjust teh screw closest to the prong your red lead is on.

According to Marshall...

Set it to read 90mV

Most people will say that's too damn hot...I usually set my TSL100 between 60mV and 70mV

Repeat steps for the other prong/screw so they are at the same level, and you're done.

Also...make sure you leave your amp's speaker plugged in, and you do have to turn on the amp completely (as in, ready to play!) - leave the guitar cord out though, and let it run for a good 3+ minutes solid before adjusting the bias as the tubes will still be leveling out as they warm up.

Thanks so much, again. Extraordinarily helpful thread, dudes!!!! :wave:

Archived