SOVTEK MIG 100 BROOTZ - Pedal Recommendations

Bob Vila

• Members

Was hoping you guys could help me out with a question I have.

My buddy uses a sovtek MIG 100, he drives it with a Wampler Triple wreck. Now i like the triple wreck...but it is noisy as all hell when you start turning the gain up to metal territory, not even his ISP can tame it. And honestly I do not think the triple wreck is tight enough for the type of music we're playing...

My question for you guys, what is the best distortion pedal for this type of amp to get crushingly big tight metal sounds from??? This pedal needs to sound good at gig volumes as well.

thanks!!1 :thu:

edit: looking to keep the pedal under $300 USD

• Members

The Sovtek MIG100 can really get brutal with a boost. The noise is mainly the preamp though. Turn up the gain all the way with nothing plugged in and it is a bit noisy already. Even the cleanest mastering grade boost in the world will add even more noise with that much limiting going on. Just the way of the world with that amp.

I use either a Boss SD-1 or a TS-9. A little noise in metal never hurt anyone. If that amp had a switchable clean channel and an FX loop, it would be my main amp. Someday I will get around to modding it.

• Members

Ask him to try turning the master up to 3:00 and keep the volume knob on zero. Have the Triple Wreck set up for all of the gain and then SLOWLY turn up the volume knob. It will go from nothing to just over bedroom loud pretty quick and then will get louder as you go from there. There will be less background noise and the tone will be huge and tight.

I gigged for years with a Mig 60 and Mig 50H this way and really had great results. Try it!

Archived