URGENT - WTF just happened to my PC

iff

• Members

Reseated the SATA to the HDD and nothing...

Reseated the RAM...

AND IT WORKS.

:love::love::love:

I had backed down a bunch on my OC's the other day but my CPU was still a tiny bit OC'd (3.2GHz to 3.4GHz) and I was worried that if something needed replacement I'd have to pay for it since I'd voided the warranty...

One other thing, but I'm not too worried about it yet...on the startup, I got a message that said something along the lines of "overclock failed, set up overclock settings in BIOS again", so I just set the CPU back to stock everything. Any idea why I got this message?

Again, much love for HCAF computer guys.

• Members
Reseated the SATA to the HDD and nothing...

Reseated the RAM...

AND IT WORKS.

:love:

I had backed down a bunch on my OC's the other day but my CPU was still a tiny bit OC'd (3.2GHz to 3.4GHz) and I was worried that if something needed replacement I'd have to pay for it since I'd voided the warranty...

One other thing, but I'm not too worried about it yet...on the startup, I got a message that said something along the lines of "overclock failed, set up overclock settings in BIOS again", so I just set the CPU back to stock everything. Any idea why I got this message?

Again, much love for HCAF computer guys.

PM me for the address to send the check to ;)

You got the message because your computer noticed that something was wrong and decided to revert to default settings in case the OC was causing it (though it wasn't). No prob, and you can go back to your OCed settings.

• Members

PM me for the address to send the check to
;)

You got the message because your computer noticed that something was wrong and decided to revert to default settings in case the OC was causing it (though it wasn't). No prob, and you can go back to your OCed settings.

Good to hear nothing's up. :thu:

So I guess, like you said, the RAM became unseated due to the heat from running the game?

• Members

Glad that worked out. Dust can get in those contacts and cause all sorts of problems. It's a good idea to dust inside your case fairly often.

Especially here, it seems...my case gets pretty dusty fairly quickly in this room for whatever reason. I last did it mid-December, but I can't say I did a precise enough job to get the dust around the RAM.

• Members

Especially here, it seems...my case gets pretty dusty fairly quickly in this room for whatever reason. I last did it mid-December, but I can't say I did a precise enough job to get the dust around the RAM.

Well now you know! :) Probably a good idea to pull the RAM out when you dust, so you can get that compressed air on the contacts on the board

• Members

Good to hear nothing's up.
:thu:

So I guess, like you said, the RAM became unseated due to the heat from running the game?

That's my guess. It was probably on the verge of coming unseated anyways.

A friend's computer did the exact same thing the other day as he was playing Starcraft.

• Members

That's my guess. It was probably on the verge of coming unseated anyways.

A friend's computer did the exact same thing the other day as he was playing Starcraft.

I'll have to remember this for future use. :thu:

Thanks everyone for the great help! :):love:

• Members

A little tip...if your computer fails to post, the very first thing you should check is to make sure the RAM is properly seated. RAM can become unseated due to temperature changes (I've seen it happen lots of times even when the ram is "locked" in) and the computer will basically do nothing when you try to turn it on. Some motherboards will beep 3 times to tell you that the RAM is improperly installed. Pull the RAM sticks out, wipe the contacts with a dry cloth and reinstall them, making sure they're seated all the way into the sockets.

Yep, RAM is the first place I start as well. It's fixed 90% of the suddenly non-working machines I've ever had to troubleshoot.

EDIT: and I see it was indeed the RAM. The low/slow fan spinning kinda threw me, but I guess that's a "feature" of the new multi-speed fans controlled by the BIOS.

• Members

No POST = RAM, CPU, MOBO, PS, Video Card. That's all a computer needs to POST. Also when a power supply goes it doesn't necessarily stop sending power, just not all needed voltages or incorrect voltages.

Also I agree with the above. RAM is the most common reason for a failed POST.

• Members

Hmm, I need to try reseating my ram. My PC stopped booting up a few weeks ago (had power but monitor wouldn't wake up). I swapped out the graphics card which seemed to fix it until the other day when it started doing the same thing. So either that or my MB has started murdering graphics cards :idk:

• Members

Hmm, I need to try reseating my ram. My PC stopped booting up a few weeks ago (had power but monitor wouldn't wake up). I swapped out the graphics card which seemed to fix it until the other day when it started doing the same thing. So either that or my MB has started murdering graphics cards
:idk:

If the computer runs but you aren't getting video signal then it is the video card that's bad. Never heard of a mobo with a taste for murdering video cards, but I guess it could happen. Make sure it's not a bad cable or monitor though!

• Members

If the computer runs but you aren't getting video signal then it is the video card that's bad. Never heard of a mobo with a taste for murdering video cards, but I guess it could happen.

That's not necessarily true. If another component is failing it could very well keep the video card from performing it's own function.

Also Tommy.. The Mobo may not murder your graphics card but a faulty power supply can. Over and over and over.

• Members

Ya, I already checked out the monitor/cable with my laptop. I hope it's not the P/S, that's the newest thing in there and it was supposed to be a real good one. One of the case fans has been acting a little funny though, maybe I should look at that also.

I'm not sure if the PC is running or not. HD light comes on for a bit but it doesn't show up on the network. No speaker so I can't tell if it's beeping or not. Dangit, that's what I forgot to pickup the last time I was at radio shack :facepalm:

Archived