Drill bit size on a pcb???

• Members

Gonna let you all in on my secret. I use a Dremel engraving bit. Works GREAT and I've used the same one for as long as I've been making own PCB's (probably drilled about 20 boards). Hasn't broken yet. It cost me maybe $2 at Lowe's or Home Depot, I don't remember which.

I use it in a standard hand-held drill, but it would work fine in a press. If you look at the pic, you'll see why it won't break.

106.jpg

The only drawbacks (and these might apply equally to other bits, but I've never used another bit, so I'm not sure):

1) It is really only large enough for standard diameter leads. I have to ream out the holes to fit hookup wire and thicker leads (ie. bigger diodes, transformer lugs).

2) The bit hangs up a little as you back it out of each completed hole, due to the ball shape. This hasn't been a problem yet and it's just one of the quirks of using that kind of bit. But I always C-clamp my PCB to a scrap board, and I make sure the clamp is close to the area I'm drilling. I don't want to pull up on the drill and have the bit catch and crack the PCB.... but like I said, it hasn't happened yet, and I don't foresee a problem.

That's it for issues. Give it a try. They're cheap enough that if it doesn't work, you're not out a lot of money.

• Members

Depends on the type of board.

If I'm using surface mount parts, it'll be between 0.013" and 0.020". If it's thru-hole parts, maybe up to 0.042", perhaps as big as 0.0625" for big capacitor or diode leads.

For the tiny bits I use a pin vise to drill them by hand under a microscope (those 0.013" bits will break just by giving them a nasty look - - they're very delicate.)

Above 0.025" or so, I use a small drill press.

Archived