Help me pick tubes for my x100b

planet shh

• Members

I'm going to start shopping around for tubes, and I really don't know where to start.

The amp is a Carvin x100b reissue 2x12 combo. Currently it's got the stock 6L6 tubes the reissues come with and the lead channel can sound sort of muddy and drab. I'm thinking about swtiching to EL34s for some midranch punch, but I'm concerned with losing tone in the clean channel.

I like JJ tubes, but I was thinking maybe I should consider some other options too.

I guess I probably use the clean channel more, but that's probably got something to do with how the amp sounds. I do a lot of tapping stuff, and currently I tune a step down, but that could always change. My guitar is an old G&L SC2 with two ASAT pickups, which is what the G&L ASAT guitars use. I currently have a Tone Freak Rodentia coming too, which I think will help to push the front.

I'd really like the best of all three worlds, great clean and midrange crunch, but able to get into really thick and dry saturated tone.

I'm looking for some educated tube suggestions if anyone has any.

• Members

First off Congratulations on choosing a Carvin! I think they are kind of the red headed stepchild of the amp world. I've owned several Carvins including a XV212 which as you probably know is the X-100B in a 2x12. I believe mine was made in the late 80's. Not sure how similar the tone stack is to the X100B reissue you have but I had great luck with Sovtek 6L6 WXT's in the power section and JJ 12ax7's for the pre tubes. I also swapped the British Series speakers out for Celestion V30's. The thing sounded tremendous. I also owned an older X60 but that ended up with JJ E34L's and JJ 12ax7's and kept the stock speaker. Was also a great amp.

• Members

First off Congratulations on choosing a Carvin! I think they are kind of the red headed stepchild of the amp world. I've owned several Carvins including a XV212 which as you probably know is the X-100B in a 2x12. I believe mine was made in the late 80's. Not sure how similar the tone stack is to the X100B reissue you have but I had great luck with Sovtek 6L6 WXT's in the power section and JJ 12ax7's for the pre tubes. I also swapped the British Series speakers out for Celestion V30's. The thing sounded tremendous. I also owned an older X60 but that ended up with JJ E34L's and JJ 12ax7's and kept the stock speaker. Was also a great amp.

How did you feel about the Sovtek 6L6 WXTs vs the JJ E34Ls ?

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Members

yeah several reasons. They're typically the most consistent in quality and sound, they're usually cleaner when pushed to saturation than other EL34's, there's a bit less bottom end compression so the sound stays cleaner, they're pretty rugged tubes and they're not too expensive.

I used to have one of the old carvin T100 power amps with a pair of 50 watt power sections. I did a big test using about 6 or 7 pairs of EL34's using my old mesa studio preamp, that power amp and a 2x12 cab with identical speakers. One side of the power amp fed one speaker and the other side fed the other speaker so it was a true stereo operation to hear the differences between each pair.

The Rubys were always the loudest, cleanest and biggest sounding pair of any I tested. The STR's were the only ones I knew of when I did that test and really the only one I've ever bothered with since.

• Members

yeah several reasons. They're typically the most consistent in quality and sound, they're usually cleaner when pushed to saturation than other EL34's, there's a bit less bottom end compression so the sound stays cleaner, they're pretty rugged tubes and they're not too expensive.

I used to have one of the old carvin T100 power amps with a pair of 50 watt power sections. I did a big test using about 6 or 7 pairs of EL34's using my old mesa studio preamp, that power amp and a 2x12 cab with identical speakers. One side of the power amp fed one speaker and the other side fed the other speaker so it was a true stereo operation to hear the differences between each pair.

The Rubys were always the loudest, cleanest and biggest sounding pair of any I tested. The STR's were the only ones I knew of when I did that test and really the only one I've ever bothered with since.

Excellent, I'll definitely consider that then.

Thanks!

• Members

I had a guy last night at the guitar shop in my neighborhood recommend Winged C 6L6 tubes. From what I can gather it sounds like their factory source is guaranteed, which is important.

Anyone know anything about these tubes or have any other suggestions?

Also he wanted to charge $170 for a quintet. Does that seem fair?

• Members

Another vote for the Ruby power tubes. Both sound surprisingly great for the price. :thu:

I would look into the EH 6CA7 as well. Sounds like a 6L6 when volume is at lower levels and breaks up into an EL34 grind. They are incredibly smooth and detailed too.

• Members

I had a guy last night at the guitar shop in my neighborhood recommend Winged C 6L6 tubes. From what I can gather it sounds like their factory source is guaranteed, which is important.

Anyone know anything about these tubes or have any other suggestions?

Also he wanted to charge $170 for a quintet. Does that seem fair?

The price is right but the =C='s do not deliver tone to justify their astronomical price tag. the rubys, TAD's, Svetlanas and mullard reissues are all just as good but a fraction of the price.

You can get a quartet of the ruby's from laura for $100 less and I would never buy tubes from a store either. They don't have the equipment necessary to burn in and properly match a set of tubes. they'll simply use the factory ratings to ASSUME the set of tubes is matched but it's usually nowhere close.

Laura burns in each tube and THEN matches them (as the tubes change during initial burn in) ensuring that you get a properly matched set of tubes.

http://valvequeen.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=9&Itemid=5

I've bought my last 4 or 5 sets of tubes from her and after testing the bias on each pair, they're all virtually identical. No other online tube dealer has delivered that level of consistency. so she's earned a customer for as long as she sells tubes.

• Members

The price is right but the =C='s do not deliver tone to justify their astronomical price tag. the rubys, TAD's, Svetlanas and mullard reissues are all just as good but a fraction of the price.

You can get a quartet of the ruby's from laura for $100 less and I would never buy tubes from a store either. They don't have the equipment necessary to burn in and properly match a set of tubes. they'll simply use the factory ratings to ASSUME the set of tubes is matched but it's usually nowhere close.

Laura burns in each tube and THEN matches them (as the tubes change during initial burn in) ensuring that you get a properly matched set of tubes.

I've bought my last 4 or 5 sets of tubes from her and after testing the bias on each pair, they're all virtually identical. No other online tube dealer has delivered that level of consistency. so she's earned a customer for as long as she sells tubes.

Great, thanks a lot for all the advice, I think you may have convinced me.

I'm leaning towards either the JJ 6CA7 or the Ruby EL34BSTRs. Does anyone have any input about either of these two tubes or maybe any other suggestions. I may pull the trigger and order some tonight, but I'd love to get some more thoughts before I do.

• Members

I have never played a Carvin X100B, but I can attest to the Ruby EL34BSTR.....they are magic in a glass! Sound great in Marshallesque type amps, but surprisingly sound great with clean sounds. They have just the right amount of compression but still stay very dynamic. You can't lose with the EL34BSTR.....great tone and awesome price.

Cole

• Members

Great, thanks a lot for all the advice, I think you may have convinced me.

I'm leaning towards either the JJ 6CA7 or the Ruby EL34BSTRs. Does anyone have any input about either of these two tubes or maybe any other suggestions. I may pull the trigger and order some tonight, but I'd love to get some more thoughts before I do.

send laura a PM. Her screen name here is "phatgirl" she can answer any questions about the tubes.

• Members

I don't have any input on the JJ 6CA7, but I did try the EH version and I couldn't get them to bias correctly (or correctly as I thought)....I was told they are direct replacements for EL34s, so I would assume they would bias around the same values....but I could be wrong. The EH sounded big, but I think they were biased hot in my Marshall DSL....that being said, I much preferred the EL34BSTR to them....it is my go to EL34.

Cole

• Members

I don't have any input on the JJ 6CA7, but I did try the EH version and I couldn't get them to bias correctly (or correctly as I thought)....I was told they are direct replacements for EL34s, so I would assume they would bias around the same values....but I could be wrong. The EH sounded big, but I think they were biased hot in my Marshall DSL....that being said, I much preferred the EL34BSTR to them....it is my go to EL34.

Cole

Great feedback! Thanks!

Archived