Intonation on semi-hollow w/ Bigsby

Jeztastic

• Members

Hi,

I have a DeArmond Starfire semi hollow to which I added a Bigsby B70. The guitar originally had a Guild style floating tailpiece. The Bigsby fits really well, although i did have to drill a couple of holes for the tension bar.

To get the intonation, I've had to move most of the bridge saddles as far forward (towards the neck) as they would go. The guitar is just about intonated right, but could do with a couple going forward further. I have already turned them round to get them as far forward as possible.

Can anyone advise why this has happened, and what to do? Thanks!

Jez

• Members

Well... It's not a floating bridge - the tailpiece was floating, but thats gone now.

And they don't really move around much do they, Tune-O-Matics? It's the kind which sits on posts which are screwed into the top.

Am I missing something fundamental here?

• Members

No, I think I've got it-some jazzers do have floating bridges, and that would be an easy explanation.

I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing this. If the bridge hasn't moved, the tailpiece shouldn't disturb the intonation. It can affect string tension, I suppose, and therefore how much a string will sharp when fretted; perhaps that's what's causing it? AFA a cure, I'm afraid I can't help.

Sorry.

Larry

Archived