New Tubes for Princeton Reverb?

stratrulz

• Members

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did a search and found little info. I'm looking to replace the tubes in my Fender Princeton Reverb RI because it sounds a bit shrill. I want to mellow it out a bit. I put some older Jan 6V6's and some Baldwin 12AX7's but it didn't really help much, just curious if there are any newer tubes that may help make it warmer sounding? :confused:

• Members

I retubed my prri with nos brimer power tubes, tungsol pre amp tubes, a Mullard in the phase inverter slot, and a nos Jan Phillips rectifier tube. I also replaced the speaker with a weber, really made the amp sound awesome!

• Members

Those sound like some expensive tubes? Aside from the Tungsol, which seem moderately priced for 12AX7's, what modern production tubes do you think are good for the rectifier 5AR4 and 6V6's?

BTW that squirrel rulz!

• Members

I tried several combinations in a BF PR varient including Brimar and Mazda, and settled for a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 6V6's. I used a 5U4GB instead of the 5AR4 for a bit more sag I think that was a GE.

Preamp tubes seem to be fickle to individual amps, what sounds good in one amp my suck in another. If you are looking for modern production tubes I'd suggest trying several and deciding upon individual performance.

• Members

Preamp tubes seem to be fickle to individual amps, what sounds good in one amp my suck in another. If you are looking for modern production tubes I'd suggest trying several and deciding upon individual performance.

So true. I actually thought the tubes I used were an improvement over the EH 6V6's and 12AX7s, but it's still a little shrill. Cool, I guess I'll try to check out the Tung's. I think the 12AX7s are pretty decent, so it's worth a try. Thank again for the help fellas.

• Members

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did a search and found little info. I'm looking to replace the tubes in my Fender Princeton Reverb RI because it sounds a bit shrill. I want to mellow it out a bit. I put some older Jan 6V6's and some Baldwin 12AX7's but it didn't really help much, just curious if there are any newer tubes that may help make it warmer sounding?
:confused:

Have you tried these:

Treble

Second Input

Guitar knobs (Tone/Volume)

?

• Members

What speaker is currently in the amp?

V1 position has a big effect on your tone. I suggest buying a few different 12ax7 types and trying them out in V1.

Some I've liked recently: Mullard reissue, NOS JAN GE, TAD Highgrade.

A couple I didn't: EH & Mesa.

Amps: Homebrew versions of a 5F1 Champ, 5E3 deluxe, & Matchless Lightning 15 as well as a Fender Vibro Champ.

* Regarding tube recommendations:

- Different amp designs will work better with some tubes than others. What makes a Mesa sing might not sound good in a Princeton.

- Different tubes, even of the same brand & batch, will vary in their operation. Just because I got a good one (or bad one) doesn't mean you will too.

- One man's Grail tone is another man's can of angry bees. It's is always good to have some "backups." Get a few & find your favorite.

Archived