IMPROVING OVERALL TONE

ieatwhores

• Members
i am evenually going to upgrade my amp but i was just wondering if there was a way to help tighten up the tone. The problem with my tone is kinda muddy and lacking some bass. Would a pickup replacement fix that issue?

There are lot of things that could be done. Changing settings, pickups (and pickup height), tubes, speakers, using pedals for tone shaping out front and in the loop, etc. etc.

And then there's what Sixtonoize said. :idk:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the problem is a little more complex.

Your ears are broken and you have no idea what a guitar is *supposed* to sound like.

You're so used to scooping the {censored} out of your tone that there's no tone left, so now when you start getting close to anything that will work in the context of a band, you think it sounds bad. It's actually a fairly common occurance - bedroom shredders who dial their amps to sound HUGE in their bedroom and then wonder why they can't hear themselves over the drums and bass, no matter how loud they turn up.

Honestly, there isn't anything that any of us can do to help you until you learn how different a guitar sounds when it's in a mix vs. by itself and what settings work in each context.

If you're going to be heard in a band, you need
half
as much bass, gain, and treble as you think you need and
twice
as much midrange. Granted, it won't sound that great on its own, and it will sound even worse at low volumes, but in a band mix and at gig volumes it will cut like a knife through butter and sound
{censored}ing amazing.

Or, at the very least, it will sound as good as a Blue Voodoo is capable of sounding.

that may be the case but is there any reason why it would sound like that if it wasnt the the settings because it seems like its more a problem with the amp than with the settings that i have not saying my settings are good but i can tell its something with the amp not just the settings

• Members

the tone that i currently have is alright however it feels like it could be better. I was just wondering what i could change in my rig to make my tone better. I play hardcore/metalcore so im kinda going for a heavier sounding tone.

guitar: samick greg bennet um-3

pickups: duncan design

amp head: crate blue voodoo 120h

cabinet:blue voodoo 412

pedals:

boss ns-2

boss tu-2

ehx metal muff

You'll never get that bad ass broken muffler sound with this rig.

• Members

Seriously sell everything except your 2 pedals and the cab. Sell the speakers though. The Blue Doodoo is called that for a reason.

Then look for one of the following that you like used-

Blackstar ht-100 or possibly ht-20 if you don't need the clean headroom.

Peavey 6505/5150, Triumph, XXX

Mesa Dual Recto

Laney GH100L/50L or VH100R (GREAT option for the money)

Hybrid Randall for a more tight compressed death metal kinda tone

You could also try the Bugera 333xl or 6262, but make sure you get some kind of warranty with it.

Guitar-

Godin Redline

Washburn X50/x30

Or find some other used Peavey/Carvin/Ibanez/LTD etc... Shecters are good if you can stand the neck thickness. Just try before you buy.

Throw a Duncan distortion or some other Duncan/Dimarzio in the bridge.

And then a cheap Boost if you need it-

Bad Monkey, Dano Transparent Overdrive V1 or some other good affordable boost.

Speakers are dependent on the kind of tone you like... I'd stick with WGS or Celestion.

Archived