Help with impedance and ohms levels on the amp and cab!

ShredR

• Members

Ok I recently bought a 120 watt tube amp its my first so I am not clear on exactly how I am supposed to hook it up to the cab so that the impedance and ohms match. I have a 4X12 line 6 cab. The amp has 3 different impedance settings on it in the back 16, 8, 4. I have it on 4 right now and I'm not sure if I connected everything right. I played it and it sounds fine but I want to make sure its hooked up correctly so it doesn't damage the amp in the future.

This is the amp

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333667[/ATTACH]

This is the cab

[ATTACH=CONFIG]333668[/ATTACH]

I hooked the amp with two speaker cables to the cab left and right. So did I do everything correct or should I change something :confused: Thanks!

• Members

you have it hooked up correctly, but you aren't really gaining anything by using two speaker cables.

You are really running each 8 ohm 1/2 of the cab with a separate speaker cable, which, since your amp is not stereo is a 4 ohm load on the amp.

Running one cable from the amp to the mono 4 ohm input on the speaker would be the same load/hook-up.

You are using speaker cables, not intrument cables, right?

Edit: never mind, I see you said speaker cables, and can tell they are from the amp pic

Archived