Emergency Gig Rig for Bass--

starfire_Xes

• Members

I might have some gigs, but I have no bass amp and can't fork over any cash right now. The gigs are small up to medium size clubs, and the music pop, rock, and easy-listening jazz.

I have a crown CE-1000 power amp and 2 JBL-JRX 115 speakers. I'm thinking of using a focusrite preamp channel with an instrument input (sounds great, with phones, lots of control) to drive the CE-1000 with the two JBL's bridged to 4 ohm mono. According to the amp specs, the CE-1000 will deliver 1100 watts peak power into this load.

It seems a little excessive, and I am wondering if I will get the nice, tight and clean tone with the volume turned down really low, because sometimes amps don't sound good turned down low, but maybe I can equalize to keep the tone 'hot'?

• Members

I used a Bass Pod 2.0 if my main rig ever went down and it does the job admirably. Sometimes, if the gig was small enough, it would do perfectly fine; select a nice clean patch, DI to the PA and job done. They can be had for silly money now and tend to be in pretty decent nick.

If you can, a good cheap bass amp comes from Warwick. It's the most Ampeg-like without being Ampeg money - and the TubePath I have I think sounds a lot better than my old SVT4Pro but for 1/3rd of the price!

• Members

I would think just one of those cabs would do it . When I used to use a pwr/pre set up I would turn the power amp full up and control the volume with the pre , either way the tone of that power amp shouldn't change be it low or full up . I've done gigs with as little as a DI so anything from there on works for me .

• Members

That would do fine, I'd think. Most preamp channel strips like that sound awesome with just clean bass into them. I used a Demeter bass preamp into an active Mackie 2x15+horn at one point. Sounded awesome. Just was a heavy sumbitch! :mad:

Archived