Do I need a mixer to switch between headphones and speakers? Bonus JVM clip inside

maiden_fan

• Members

I have just delved into the world of home recording. I am using a tascam interface for DI'ing and recording guitars for my bands upcoming EP. Drums have been done in a studio so it is just guitars I need to do at home.

When I am tracking I like to use headphones, but I want to listen back to my take on my monitors, do I need a mixer to switch between the two rather than swapping cords in and out? And if so can you recommend a small and portable one for me to purchase.

I am looking at ordering some monitors as I am really enjoying the experience. I am thinking getting the KRK rokit 5's ?

Here is what I did yesterday, unmixed drums, DI bass, 2 tracks of JVM.

http://soundcloud.com/user9696373/avalon-snippet

Thanks

Tony

• Members

you do not need a mixer, a simple A/B box is what you need. so you can simply switch back and forth with the flip of a switch. could be built very cheap or there are a few little companies that sell them at very reasonable prices.

• Members

also

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MON800-MiniMON-Monitor-Standard/dp/B000H28K2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304339812&sr=8-2

if your not afraid of behringer check that guy out.

i have only heard good things about it, and for $40 its a great deal.

it may have a few more features than your looking for right now, but it will do exactly what youre needing it for and more. plus its less expensive than just about any mixer

• Members

I have just delved into the world of home recording. I am using a tascam interface for DI'ing and recording guitars for my bands upcoming EP. Drums have been done in a studio so it is just guitars I need to do at home.

When I am tracking I like to use headphones, but I want to listen back to my take on my monitors, do I need a mixer to switch between the two rather than swapping cords in and out? And if so can you recommend a small and portable one for me to purchase.

I am looking at ordering some monitors as I am really enjoying the experience. I am thinking getting the KRK rokit 5's ?

Here is what I did yesterday, unmixed drums, DI bass, 2 tracks of JVM.

Thanks

Tony

a small mixer will make it easier...as for the Rokit 5, I have the Rokit 6 and I couldn't be happier, I was told by a friend of mine that runs a studio that he found the Rokit 5 to be a little weak in the low end and he prefered to use a sub with them but the Rokit 6's worked well with out a sub... I can tell you the Rokit 6's can produce SERIOUS low end, I use mine for home recording and every day stuff like watching DVDs etc...excellent set of monitors..

Archived