Rocktron Voodu Valve: Differences between USA and Korean versions?

DeathByGuitar

• Members

I have the latest revision of the Rocktron Voodu Valve, the one with the blue tube, made in Korea. Thing is, I'm experiencing a lot of hum and noise between notes, before the HUSH kicks in. This is while running distortion patches in low tube-gain mode, because high tube gain makes it so noisy, it's unusable.

My question is this: I've read varying things about these units, some saying the older USA versions are better sounding and/or less noisy than the newer ones. A guy from Rocktron, however, tells me that the newer units use 20-bit DA converters, verses the older ones that only use 16-bit. Does anyone know if I'll experience less noise/hum if I buy an older USA version?

• Members

Sounds like a plan. I've got an Electro-Harmonix 12ax7 in there now. Any suggestions for a quieter tube? I don't know what to look for.

Any tube will do, as long as it is in good working condition which I don't think is the case with the tube you have in there now.

Ask the tube vendor to test the tube for low-noise. Tube brand is not that important in this case as most of the tone of this preamp is generated digitally and the tube circuit only adds "warmth" to the tone.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
On 5/18/2011 at 7:22 PM, DeathByGuitar said:

A guy from Rocktron, however, tells me that the newer units use 20-bit DA converters, verses the older ones that only use 16-bit. Does anyone know if I'll experience less noise/hum if I buy an older USA version?

I know this is an older thread but searching for information about the Voodu Valve it's misleading to find that the early units had 16 bit DSP.
Just not true, it can't be if you think about it. The Voodu Valve came after the Chameleon which already was 24 bit.
In fact the manual of the old "Witch Doctor" Voodu Valve's also has it written on the cover and in the introduction.
Still a great unit by the way, an actual preamp instead of a modeler like Line 6 stuff.

Archived