Where did all my high end go?

bengerm77

• Members

I've noticed that my amp has been getting darker and mufflier over the past few weeks. Is this a power tube or preamp tube issue? Is there any chance it could be speakers? I'd really like it if I just had one bad preamp tube, that is somehow making my entire amp run crappy, or if there was one tiny capacitor in the tone stack of the amp that could make all the high end disappear.

I would like to avoid taking it to a tech to get it biased correctly with new tubes, but if that's what needs to be done, then so be it.

• Members

My guess is your strings.

Could always be V1. I doubt it is power tubes, depending on when you last retubed it. Contrary to popular belief, power tubes should last for a very long time in a correctly biased amp.

• Members

My guess is your strings.

Could always be V1. I doubt it is power tubes, depending on when you last retubed it. Contrary to popular belief, power tubes should last for a very long time in a correctly biased amp.

I re-power-tubed it about six months ago. However, it's a peavey ultra 120, which I believe is biased very cold. If I had the technical know how I would bias it myself, along with replace some of the caps in the amp as I bet it's approaching 20 years in age. The preamp tubes I put in probably almost 5 years ago. Damn, I've had this thing for a long time.

Also, I suspect a few of the pots on the front of the amp may be crackly.

Archived