Opinions on Celestions 70/80's?

DTrane

• Members

what are people using these days?

That varies quite widely.

Let's talk what kind of music YOU play, what amp you use, and what kind of tone you're after.

We could talk which speaker is more popular than the next all day long, but it wouldn't get us any closer to what you ultimately want.

• Members

they're passable in a 4x12. often used in open-back combos and sound like toad farts. they remind me of a cheaper sounding gt75. a bit of scoop and fizz. thin in the bass.

Thats exactly what I found. They dont sound completely BAD but if you A/B them with anything else you will ditch them quick. I hate V30's and would take one of those over a 70/80 if that tells you anything LOL.

• Members

I like metal/rock. Lots of distortion and want to experiement with dropped tuning and eventually baritone guitar.

Yeah, I have an Avatar cab with V30's. ok not great. I kinda prefer my Peavey 5150 cab with sheffield speakers. It might be the that the 5150 cab is deeper

• Members

They are the stock speaker in the Tech21 Trademark 60. I've spoken to the techs a couple of times there about replacing the 70/80 and they discouraged it. They say the speaker is very transparent and works well with the voicing of their amp. I will say that I have NEVER heard the speaker "fart out" in my TM60/PE60. I can crank the hell out of the TM60 and the speaker stays true. It may not work well with other amps but it does the job with the TM60

DSCF0735C-1.jpg

• Members

My Traynor YCV40 had one. It's not the best speaker out there, but it wasn't terrible and it got the job done without making the amp really suffer.

You could probably find something like a Jensen or a cheaper Weber for about the same price, though.

Archived