Jet City PicoValve / JCA20H

bfloyd6969

• Members

So, both heads (PicoValve and JCA20H) are the same price at MF, but the JCA20H is 20 watts and the Pico is only 5 watts. Other than the wattage, what is the major difference between these heads? I mean going from 5 watts to 20 watts usually means a price jump, no? Thanks.

• Members

Both have completely different tones. This coming from my owning the JCA20h and cleaning as many clips/vids of the Pico. It seems the JCA20h has more fans although the Pico hasn't been out that long. On paper the Pico

has more features(attenuator, tube swaps). I guess it comes down to ones personal preference on how they both sound.

• Members

If only they had made the Pico with 20 or 30 watts..........................

True, and my reason for leaning towards the JCA20H over the PicoValve. I like the idea of the multiple tube swaps that can be done with the Pico, but I can see myself using the 5 watts too soon. The 20 watts of the JCA20H would come much more handy. An alternative would be to get the real deal THD UniValve, but I don't really have the $1000 laying around :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The pico does not have much clean headroom. It sounds dark to me unless you crank it a bit. This can be good if you play single coils or super bright guitars. But generally it is dark. I don't have a 20H, but from what people seem to be saying is that it is probably a bright amp and not on the dark side. The pico sounds better turned up about 6 or more, but it starts to get loud. I like it at 8-10 on the master. I think I may need to look at the master volume to see if I can do something to make it overall brighter. I changed from the Chinese preamp tubes that are not bright enough for this amp to Tung Sol 12AX7s and that helps. I also switched out the first 12AX7 to a 12AT7 to give it a bit more headroom - and the distortion is still fine. It distorts rather early. Right now I don't like the the 2w setting - it is WAY DARK sounding. It sounds best at full power with the master on 8 and the preamp dialed in to taste. Also, the pico makes a POP when you take it off standby, and I fixed that by soldering in .01 630v poly capacitor to the board where both wires from the standby switch. This greatly reduces the POP and will also likely keep the switch from failing.

I think if you want a low wattage amp for home, and don't mind the darkness, get the pico.

If you want an amp that can have some clean headroom (if set that way) and you have 20 watts to play with. 20 watts is a really good size - good for many gigs where 5w may not quite get you there.

• Members

I've got both, get the JCA20, much better choice imho. Rivercity is dead on with his assessment of the Picovalve, I went through the same thing myself. It took me a while to get the JCA20 the way I like it as well...tried a bunch of different tubes in it before it made me happy, but it wasn't really bad out of the box, I was just looking for something a little grittier.

If you can wait, and spend a little more money, I'd say look at the JCA20H...it's shouldn't be too much longer. Another option

Archived