Want To Build Amp

Schappy

• Members

I'm still a beginner also. My first project is a Fender "super champ" clone where I'm modifying an old phono amp. Basically after extensive reading, research, and metering; I'm now working from the transformer up.

I've seen the ax84 projects recommended more than others for beginners. I've actually seen a P1 in person. The builder said he had a very rudimentary knowledge of electronics before he built it.. and it took him just over a weekend to finish it. It looked nice, and I know they include everything you need to finish it.. minus speaker and cabinet of course. The other most recommended option is building a fender "champ" clone or, 5F1A. I would say skip that and do the 5F2A instead. It was a slightly later revision of the champ that improved it's design. It seems pricey, but it will work well and sound good when you're done. These are all lower wattage though, not the 15-30 arena. That puts you into Octal tubes with slightly more complicated designs. I suppose there might be a design out there for a single 6L6..that puts you up there with one tube. I don't know any off the top of my head, but scan tedwebers page here and I'm sure you'll find something you can tackle.. maybe a 5E3 would fit the bill here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been interested in the same thing. Mostly, I've been looking at building a blackface Princeton Reverb or similar. The reverb adds to the complexity, so I may end up stepping back from that, but that is what I'm looking at.

I've been researching on various websites and have purchased a book or two that are helping me get closer. Maybe we can compare notes?

• Members

for fender cleans a BF princeton would probably be best. find a schematic for a non-reverb princeton, and it should be rather simple. my first guess was a tweed deluxe, but they don't really stay clean at a useable volume. ted weber makes good beginner kits that sound decent. there is no help/instructions involved, but you get a layout and schematic from the site. decoding his amp kit names is a little tricky if you don't go tweed. the BF princeton reverb is a 6A14. it is certainly possible to build it, but i wouldn't recommend it for your first time. lead dress is important, and troubleshooting the amp after the build is the hard part. you need to know what you're doing, where to measure, and how to determine what's wrong. there is a load of help available on his forums, and if polite enough and intelligent enough not to kill yourself it is entirely possible for any beginner. you also get the benefit of some choices regarding speakers, and weber makes some great speakers.

Archived