Anyone use 1x12" cabs?

JimH

• Members

The best rig I ever had was a Boogie 20/20 poweramp, ADA MP1 pre, into four boogie 1x12s. Had two theiles, and two open back. Depending on the venue, I'd use two or four. When I used four, I'd have two on my side of the stage, and two on the other side. It was great. I could always hear myself, but was never drowning anyone else out.

If I had to choose between a Thiele and most 2x12, and some 4x12s for a (club) world tour, I'd go for the thiele.

• Members

I gigged a Mesa Boogie Mark IV 1x12" all through the 90's and it never failed, but those days we played in bigger clubs.

I use a BadCat HC15 now, which is a 1x12" combo. If I need to, I add a Avatar 2x12" under it in bigger venues. I also have a Fuchs ODS30 that I feed the Avatar with when I know I'm in a bigger place.

I have a 1x15" that I sometimes pair with a '64 Fender Blackface Bandmaster head, that combo sounds killer too!

Don't discount the 15"!

• Members

THanks for all the input guys - yes I do get it off the floor.

...My main point was about a 1x12" upgrade. Is it worth going to a 1x12 of bigger dimensions? or ported or better speakers or whatever. - I can obvsiouly get a 2x12 or a bigger amp or whatever but I pretty much like this rig. I was half expecting someone to say well that peavey cab is your problem - POS, cheap, undersized etc. get yourself an X and you'll be fine. but interestingly nobody has.

Thanks.

Archived