figuring out proper pot value (for piezo cello pickup)

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hi everyone,

I recently built a cheap piezo pickup for my bandmates cello using this tiny little piezo disc from radioshack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062402&cp=&sr=1&origkw=piezo&kw=piezo&parentPage=search

it isn't the best sounding thing in the world, but it works. i run a 1-foot cable from the cello to a DI box then xlr to mixer. Now i'd like to add a volume pot in there between the pickup and the DI box so that she can adjust the volume on her own.

I assume this would work as easily as the volume pot right after guitar pickup, but i don't know what value pot i should use.

Do you folks have any thoughts or any ideas on how i should go about figuring out the proper pot value for this simple, passive design?

• Members

did you take the piezo out of the shell.? hope so , it'll sound better. if you are going to wire a volume knob ( i guess in a little box) you may as well put in a tone knob too to deal with some of the highs which piezos have heaps of .

look up a fender p bass wiring diagram that worked for me. and i used 250 k pots. any greater value will let more high end through .

Archived