1963 FENDER PRINCETON BROWNFACE INFO- HELP!

musicalpeace

• Members

Hi, I'm really considering getting a 1963 princeton tomorrow evening. I happened to hear one on a youtube video and just fell in love with its creamy sound. Is there a reason why this amp isn't so popular though? Does anyone know how the 6g3 compares?? The guy wont go any lower than $1100, and the original speaker needs a recone, so is this a good price?

I've been searching and searching online, but since this amp is so rare, I can't seem to find anything. You guys are my only hope...

• Members

Price is high.

They average $900-1000 (closer to $900). Plus the recone will cost you $75. So, you'd be over paying by about $200, not a lot if you have the amp for years and years and years. But still $200 you had to go out and earn and now would have to go out and earn again.

A nice amp though.

• Members

Personally I'd want to know if it had a recap, death cap removed and the 3 prong plug added. It's going to need one by now and it's not easy finding the right can cap for those these days. I wouldn't plug any old amp in without this stuff done. It's dangerous to yourself and the transformer. For that matter, you'd probably want to have all the larger electrolytic caps checked to see if they are dried up and off spec/not working at all. Since the speaker is blown you really don't get to hear good sound to judge.

As for why it's not more popular: No reverb (or any features like effects loop, channels, vibrato etc...for that matter), underpowered for playing in a band, maintenance issues, very simple circuit to build a clone out of from a kit cheaper, some of them use weird tubes that are not in production anymore.

Don't kid yourself that you are buying $1100 worth of sound buying that. You are buying a collectors item. That brings a whole lot of issues to the table unrelated to music. Has work been done? What's the quality of that work? What parts are original? etc....That's fine and good. Some people will spend $80,000 on a mint restored 57 Chevy. But don't kid yourself that it can out-perform a 2011 Corvette. Know what you are paying for.

You can buy a whole lot of new amp for $1,100 over that little old practice amp with its tiny speaker.

When wooden instruments get old they do sound better. This isn't true for old consumer electronics. People need to remember that.

If you really love the sound, have you thought about just building a clone from a kit or seeking out a copy? You can probably do it for hundreds cheaper. It will probably have better components, not be such a threat to theft, have maintanance issues you'll have to address, and be more practical for gigging out. You will probably want to mic it for that....

Archived