Carvin 2x12 Cabinet Users?

8len8

• Members

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of one of the newer Carvin 2x12 cabs (212V, G212, C212E2) and other vendors' 2x12 cabs (Marshall, Lopo, Dr Z, etc..)?

The Carvins are so light that I assume the speakers have small magnets. I've read a couple of posts where folks say the Carvins are a little thinner sounding...

• Members

I have a G212 but it has a V30 and a G12H30. It sounds good...a really loud cab, don't have to crank my amps nearly as loud through this one. Lots of midrange and highs.

The high end is a little shrill compared to my Recto. The Carvin also doesn't have a lot of low end, but it's also open back. It's probably more the speakers though as my Recto is also open back. Great cab, I got mine for $90...it stays at home though.

• Members

I have a G212 but it has a V30 and a G12H30. It sounds good...a really loud cab, don't have to crank my amps nearly as loud through this one. Lots of midrange and highs.

The high end is a little shrill compared to my Recto. The Carvin also doesn't have a lot of low end, but it's also open back. It's probably more the speakers though as my Recto is also open back. Great cab, I got mine for $90...it stays at home though.

What type of music do you play through it? You said it doesn't have a lot of low end, but I'm assuming it's not as thing as a 4x10 or 1x12?

• Members

I have a Carvin 2x12 with V30s. I wouldn't say it's thin sounding my any means, although it doesn't have the bottom that my Jet City 2x12 has. What bottom it does have is a little tighter sounding to me, and I crank the bass all the way up on the V3M, you will feel it. The JC is a bigger cab, though...it's about 4" higher than the Carvin, so maybe the extra cab volume accounts for the bigger bottom :). Listed weight is the same for both cabs, btw.

• Members

i got a chance to a/b try out a 2x12 (v30s) legacy cab with a few diffrent amps.

tolex looked cool as hell, but my Framus 2x12 (mismatched GB+V30s) ate it for lunch (and also surprisingly embarassed some of the 4x12s!)

legacy on far left, framus right.

2011-05-01150531.jpg

Archived