peavey bandit 112 - volume problem

zzzxtreme

• Members

hello, i have this bandit 112 sheffield equipped. i tried to plug in line out from my keyboard/dvd player to EFX return and Power Amp in, but the volume seems to be maxed, even though the volume knob is at zero. turning volume knob makes no difference. what can I do to fix it ? is it a simple volume knob controller hardware ? thanks in advance

• Members

All I know is, if I plug an external preamp into the fx return of an amp, it bypasses the preamp section of the amp thus the only volume control I will have, will be from the external preamp I plugged in.

Most of the time this is true. My Windsor is like this. I also sometimes use a Stereo Chorus 212 combo that has a master volume post-fx return, so it can go either way... depends on the amp.

There is nothing wrong with the Bandit, it just doesnt have a volume control after the FX return. Control the overall volume by adjusting the output of the external device. (which you probably cant do with a DVD player, but almost certainly can do with the keyboard)

• Members

another question, in my understanding, in hifi terms, the signal chain is Keyboard > Pre-Amp > Poweramp. so am i correct to assume in other to use other instruments (such as gsp1101's line out, or KEyboard, or CD player line out), i need to connect it (bandit's POWER AMP input) to a dedicated pre-amplifier for the volume control?

• Members

another question, in my understanding, in hifi terms, the signal chain is Keyboard > Pre-Amp > Poweramp. so am i correct to assume in other to use other instruments (such as gsp1101's line out, or KEyboard, or CD player line out), i need to connect it (bandit's POWER AMP input) to a dedicated pre-amplifier for the volume control?

The GSP IS a preamp, and has output level control, so you can run it into the power amp in with nothing else between them. Overall volume will be controlled from the GSP rather than the amp.

The keyboard probably does too (not guaranteed, but very likely) so it works the same way as the GSP.

The CD player probably doesnt, so it will need an intermediate volume control of some kind.

Archived