Getting a bugera 1990 head & cab, any good for mordern metal?

darren0203

• Members

Im getting it in a trade for a b52 at 212 straight up, I figured it might be worth a little more so why not. I was wondering if it does modern metal well(think black dahlia, all that remains type stuff) sport/death metal...whatever the {censored} its called. Or should I just drive it right to the local guitar store and see what I can for it...I have some other stuff I could get rid of as well.

• Members

No, I dont really want it...i'm trading something of lesser value for something of greater value. Ive never played a 1990 or any jcm 900 so I have no clue how it compares, or what its capable of. Having never played a 900 or a clone of one I wouldnt even know if I would want it or not. So based off the amps in my sig, I was wondering if I should keep it for a little and try it out, or should I just get rid of it right away because it cant do modern metal? Is it really that hard of a question?

• Members

They're not "high gain" per say but they're really bright and chunky in that L-6 Spidervalve sort of way. More gain then a JCM-800 but nothing like a Deliverance (which I used to own) or a Titan.

I'd {censored}can the B-52 for something useful like effects or mic's or something instead of trading it for another {censored}ty sounding amp.

• Members

I'd {censored}can the B-52 for something useful like effects or mic's or something instead of trading it for another {censored}ty sounding amp.

Thats what I was thinking of doing with the bugera(and other related crap I dont need) as soon as I get back into town, not even bothering to unload it at home and going right to the local guitar shop, if the 1990 cant keep up. I could use a good boost, noise/feedback suppressor, pedal board, or trade it for another head or combo.

They actually have a used spidervavle, and 6262 at the guitar shop, are those crap too?

• Members

Thats what I was thinking of doing with the bugera(and other related crap I dont need) as soon as I get back into town, not even bothering to unload it at home and going right to the local guitar shop, if the 1990 cant keep up. I could use a good boost, noise/feedback suppressor, pedal board, or trade it for another head or combo.

They actually have a used spidervavle, and 6262 at the guitar shop, are those crap too?

I think the SV is worth checking out but I do not like my cousins 6262 at all. Its like a 6505+ but a little thinner with this nasty highend thing going on that cannot be dialed out.

• Members

I think the SV is worth checking out but I do not like my cousins 6262 at all. Its like a 6505+ but a little thinner with this nasty highend thing going on that cannot be dialed out.

Well the 6262 wont work then, I thought the 6505/5150 could afford to be a little thicker itself.

What kind of cab was he using for both heads?

• Members

Well the 6262 wont work then, I thought the 6505/5150 could afford to be a little thicker itself.

What kind of cab was he using for both heads?

My cousin only owns a 6262. I've played it through my Randall cab and his Bugera cab. The Bugera cab is horrendous as is the 6262.

I've never played a SV but I've heard a couple of them live and they've all sounded great. :thu:

• Members

My cousin only owns a 6262. I've played it through my Randall cab and his Bugera cab. The Bugera cab is horrendous as is the 6262.

I've never played a SV but I've heard a couple of them live and they've all sounded great.
:thu:

I see you have a Titan as well...and you're in PA too. Do you think a SV could do modern metal, or even be relevant in my stable? Or be a backup for a Titan?

• Members

I see you have a Titan as well...and you're in PA too. Do you think a SV could do modern metal, or even be relevant in my stable? Or be a backup for a Titan?

The Titan is a killer amp, right? I love it.

The guys I've heard using them were all doing the Creed style rock with the Recto tones, and they sounded as good or better than my old Recto. I think it'd be a decent back for your amps, go to Guitar Center and try one out.

• Members

For SRS OP? Not sure if trolling.

If the titan isn't working out for you doing metal, I would trade it for a 5153. I played a 5153 this past weekend at ampfest in augusta and it's like they took the 5150/6505 and took out that harsh fizzy buzzy upper end thing and made the clean channel respectable.

But bugera and titan do not even belong in the same sentence together, let alone, the same house hold. If the bugera didn't catch on fire, the titan would SET it on fire when you're not looking to teach you a lesson.

You're whole argument looking for something thicker sounding leads me to believe that you don't play the titan on stage. It's not a bedroom amp meant to dish out a huge low end. It's meant to be loud and clear on stage with a tight/clean low end that sits right in the mix and lets the bass player do his job and be "thick" in the mix. Have you bothered trying an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of the titan yet?

Archived